JL Audio 15" W4 D4

Bronze Member
Username: Sniperman

Michigan United States

Post Number: 24
I have 2 JL audio 15" w4 d4's and im trying to do some research on the specs of them. i havent found out what the rms on them are or what the peak power on them are. If anyone can post a link or tell me personally how much power should be run to one of these things to sound great that would be awesome.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 393
http://jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/15W4_BDS.pdf

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 26
So the rms is 200 watts but how many watts do you think it will take to power these to their fullest potential? Im looking for an amp to power one. I dont know how many watts to put to that one sub, and thats what im trying to find out from people with experience or just knowledge.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 410
Well 200 watts will make that sub reach full excursion in the right enclosure. 150 will do it as well in a slightly larger enclosure. I would do 200 watts in a 2.25cu/ft sealed for SQ or 200 watts in a 3.75 ported for more SPL. As far as a amp lok into something that is 50x2 rms @ 4 ohms and 200 x 1 @ 2ohms bridged mono, or find a mono amp that is 200x1 @ 2 ohms.

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 28
200x1 @2 ohms will power a sub thats 200 @4 ohms??

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 904
...thats one low powered amp lol

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 413
yeah it is I was thinking the same thing when I was posting it. I didnt even know if they made mono amps that small so I was skeptic about saying it! lol! But to answer your ? you want it to be 200 x 1 at 2ohms not 4ohms because your sub is dual 4ohms and that will present a 2ohm load or a 8ohm load to a amp. Do you really want to +
-know what I would do! (prob not but I am gonna tell you) I would run that sub at 8ohms by a 400 watt 4ohm mono amp or a 200x2 amp at 4ohms. That way you have head room for later upgrades and you wont have to buy a new amp.

Bronze Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 29
why run the sub at 8 ohms? will it have better sound quality if i do it that way? so i wire the voice coils in series to present an 8 ohm load to the amp, then what amp can power 200x1 @8ohms?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 455
you will be running the amp alot more efficiantly. Which in turn = less THD(total harmonic distortion)try and amp that is rated at about 400x1 at 4ohms= 200x1 @ 8ohms. will work nicely for you. Again if down the road you want to add another one you will have large amounts of unused power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us