Had enough

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 223
I have 2 10 inch hx2's. I have had a pare of ma audio 12's with the same amount of power kill my subs, and a single 12w3 with only 500 watts outperform my subs.
I want somthing that can do as good or better than the sub's I listed!
I need 2 10's that can handle at around 400 watt's rms each. My amp is the Rockford p8002, it puts out 800 watt's rms to 1 sub at 4 ohm's.
My price range is around 115 per sub, I will be buying of the internet so $230 for sub's will buy a little more!
Plz help, I am imbairest. lol

I was thinking about buying a pare of solobaric's, I can get l7's for like $110 a piece, but I am not a big fan of the solobaric's, or kicker for that matter. I know Kicker is a good brand, but I would rather not buy them. Just my personal appinion.
So do you think 2 10 l7's with 400 watts each would beat my sub's, or is there somthing else better for the price
Thank's for the help

Username: Colinjay18

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 10
what kind of box do you have your hx2's in? i had 2 power hx2 10's in a sealed box and they sucked. i put them in a ported box that has been sprayed with that black bed liner stuff, and it made a big difference. just an idea.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 225
Mine are the punch hx2's and they are in a sealed box.
My box is also under the backseat of a 1998 chevy 1500 z71!

Username: Rick_mcfarland

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
Are you looking for SQ or SPL? If you're looking for SPL the L7's would be a good bet for you. Especially if you can get the at that price.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 42
i dont really knwo much about the Shivas as in how many watts they need but ive heard they are 125 for a 12 so prolly around 115 for a 10 and they absolutely slam for the money.... just a thought to look into..

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 227
Thank's trevor I might look in to them!
I want a mix of sq and spl, somthing like 60% spl and 40% sq.

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 5
Try the kappa perfects. Great SQ and they can bump pretty hard.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 228
I don't know about the perfect's, I'm not a perfect kind of guy:-) lol
And I would even settle for 70% spl and 30% sq, I want my new subs to shake my braine.

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 7
at the most how much do you want to spend?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 231
The most I can aford right now is $140 per sub, but I would rather not. I am only 17 and don't have a job, so cash is hard to keep. lol

Bronze Member
Username: Shivvyman

Post Number: 38
I hooked up my Kappa Perfects today for the first time. I have (2) 12" Perfects each in their own vented box. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play around with it or really crank it, but so far, its sounding pretty nice.

I turned it up about about 2/3 on my head unit and rolled down the windows and the only thing that was audible was the bass line. Honestly, it was more like an echo bouncing around in my head. I'll get it officially set up to my standards tomarrow, but as of right now, things are looking pretty good.

I haven't been in too many other vehicles with subs, so it is tough to compare. So far, mine blows away anything I've ever taken a rolled in, but that isn't saying too much.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 232
Michael, when you get everything setup tell me how hard it hit's. I haven't hurd minny people talking about them that much either. At this point I am open to any idea's.

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 24
just a thought from an alpine fan but.....why not the type r's?

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 10
if you want more spl like you said and you can get the kickers for cheap i would go with them. They will be louder and probobly sound better too

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 234
That is what I was thinking! Everyone says that they are loud!
But here's my question with the solobaric's
Would the l5 be better, sence my amp pushes 400 watt's and the l5 need's 450 watt's? They would match up better.
Or would I be better off going with the l7?

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 157
I have Three Type R's in my Durango... Little more than half the watts it needs... no place here sells the mrd m1000. I have them in a sealed box and stills sounds great!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
I have Three Type R's in my Durango... Little more than half the watts it needs... no place here sells the mrd m1000. I have them in a sealed box and stills sounds great!!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 235
I don't know if the r's will be loud enough for me. I know they will have sq, and spl, but I don't think they will have enough spl.
Unless someone says other wise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Tomarrow, I plan on getting everything set up correctly. I've already broken the subs in off of a home receiver for about 15 hours each. They should be ready good to go.

My set up is in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, in a truck, it would be even louder. I'm going to go to an empty parking lot tomarrow afternoon and toy around with it for a while. I don't want to be around my house when I'm cranking it up. Thats just advertising to get your system stolen. You might as well put a sign on your car.

What I'm really curious to see is how far away you can hear it. This parking lot is for a college football stadium so I'll be able to walk a couple hundred hards and see if its still audible. I need to get the EQ setting right on my head unit and then screw around with the gain on my amp.

I'll get back to you on my final thoughts tomarrow. Hopefully, things will go well. One thing I noticed today is that these things can MOVE. I had it turned up to a decent level and the sub looked like it was going to jump out of the box.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 236
Thank's man!

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 335
hey taylor,

i have a 98 silverado too man. i know how it is to fit subs under the back seat. bout the most air space you can get out of that area is 1.6 cu ft.

i had a time getting my brahma to fit.
www.sounddomain.com/id/southern1inla

you may wanna think about a box like mine. you could get 1 higher end sub and do a vented box like this.

ps, have you ever had your system metered?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 238
I had the box custom built, and the biotch cost almost $200, so I would hate to have to buy a new one.
No I haven't had it metered, where can I get it dun, and how much does it cost? Each chamber is like 11 in wide and 11 long, can't figure out how tall you would call it sence the top is so sloped!

Silver Member

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 160
Wow didnt realized I double post...

Bronze Member

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 11
if you already have a box and you want to use it than you won't want the kickers because you'll need to get another box. If you do go with the kickers though go with the L7. They'll still be loud with 400w. Besides you can always upgrade later.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 492
well there is always the power hx2. or the he2 at that matter. you could just buy a nice 12, sell the box buy one from marshall, i think he said he can sell some, buy his box, get a nicer sub that you have left with the money from your box, and the money you have saved. the part that sucks is getting trucks to sound very loud. if you needed more money you could 1) give plasma 2) sell your body to older women 3)ask your paremts if you can do things around the house to get some extra money 4) beg your grandparents 5) sell your body to older men you can make lots of like that....dont ask.6) sell your subs and box and your soul to the devil for a nice system...or sell your box, subs and then put all that money to a new box that is cheaper and vented and then use the rest of the money for subs. 7) do all of the above:-)

Bronze Member

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 19
what hunter said

Anonymous

I noticed some one said that adire made a 10 inch shiva? as far as I know it only comes in a 12 and the RMS is 650, and im telling you right from the website.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 499
i think anon is right. no 10 shiva. but that rms rating is thermal, so its the amount of heat the voicecoils can take. they based that on a 2 hour period. however tadire makes a 10 koda, which is pretty much in between the shiva and the brahma.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 338
hey hunter,

i sell plasma...lol
$45 a week, i gonna use that hard earned money to buy some components...:-)

oh...and about my box, you would have a VERY hard time trying to get a 12" sub w/ a mounting depth and magnet diameter that is as big as something like a brahma under the back seat.

my brahma is a 10"...i did only 133dB w/ music on 600w in that box, but its an SQ box. sounds really good though.

taylor, if you interested...i'm selling my brahma 10". adire is reconing it and i wanna get it sold just as soon as i get it back. i'm going to 301-900 modified w/ 2 15" RE SX's.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 339
oh and taylor...

i cant believe you gave $200 for that box. you got ripped man.

you could buy a probox for like $150, and its sprayed w/ bed-liner.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 503
hellz ya doggy. i thought about doing it to buy a new engine for my car. i was too lazy and never did it. ya 200 bucks is a lot for a box.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 504
yo marshall, how did you get pics of REs no name sub, and why didnt you try to run off with it. it doesnt weigh that much......oh whats 55 to 65 pounds. eat more wheaties:-)

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 340
those pics have been floating around on the web for a while now.

i'd love to buy one of those new RE subs. but i need to rebuild for this season. i'm gonna start competing quite a bit this year. its gonna be my first real season. thats why i'm going w/ 2 15" SX's. i should have em for mardi gras nats.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 506
have you heard any more on the new sub? are 2 15s going to fit in your truck? i saw that you hit 138. come to think of it when i got my car metered it was 137. but i didnt use test tones it was music. i think i could get louder with some tones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Today, I went to my college's football stadium lot and started playing around with things.

First, I'll just let you know exactly what I have:

(2) 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects 12.1
Pioneer CD Head Unit (DEH-P4600MP)
Sony Amp 900X2 RMS @ 2ohms (actually works quite well, hope if holds up)
(2) Singe 12" slot vent boxes (1.8 cubic feet each)

I've got this set up in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Currently shopping for new front, rear, and tweeter speakers. Looking towards getting some more Kappas, but may go another direction if I can find something that puts out more sound with less required power.

Now that is out of the way, I'll tell you what I did. First, I went back and arranged the subs so that they are firing upwards (woofer & vent towards ceiling). They are side by side. I then adjusted the amp settings. I turned the bass boost (40hz) up around 7-8db. Next, I turned the frequency cut off dial to 70hz. I also turned on the subsonic filter, which filters out all tones below 15hz. Essentially, I decided I only wanted the subs playing notes around the 18-70hz range.

On the head unit, I turned boosted the bass up a little, boosted the mid level tones up to full, and also turned the highs up to the level of the low notes. On the EQ, I played around with it trying to get the vocals more audible without having to turn down the lower frequencies. Right now, I think its a little bright, but I'm in the process of ordering new speakers anyway. These speakers are the stock infinity ones that came with the Infinity Gold System nearly 10 years ago. Surprisingly, they have held up to well, and I think only one of them may be somewhat 'blown.' I should also note I adjusted the gain on my sub up 3/4 of the way. I've got a nice little dial I installed next to my seat buttons. Its nicely concealed.

Now that I've taken care of how I set it up, I'll get into the details. I listen to probably 70% rap and 30% classic rock/alternative rock. First CD I had in was Nelly's new Suit CD. That CD is full of songs with great bass lines. For all the rap testing, I cranked the gain up as much as possible. I cranked the head unit up to 2/3 of its capacity. The subs were moving heavily and I didn't want to push them much more. Even when they are jumping they still get louder. I've noticed that in several systems, and also including home systems, the sound just goes to crap once you reach a certain point. Eventually, the power is just wasted. That was not the case, each time I kept on cranking up the volume the subs responded by getting louder and louder. I could feel them 'punching' the back of my chair. Best of all, it felt like it was raising the hairs on the back of my neck. The bass eventually just took over my speakers and I could almost only hear or feel my subs during certain bass lines. Needless to say, I was very impressed. I threw in some more rap CDs and it sounded great. No distortion. The only thing that bothered me was the fact I noticed a few annoying rattles inside my vehicle. Once I stepped outside, I noticed a whole lot of rattles. My roof rack, liscence plate, and who knows what else were all rattling and vibrating like crazy. I don't think 300 square yards of dynamat could fix this problem. Anyway, after being satisfied with the rap capabilities, I through in some Jimi Hendrix, Incubus, and a few other CDs. I ended up turning the bass down a little for the rock. This is when I decided I also needed to make sure the cutoff frequency was pretty low (70 or so). I might even go lower. I don't like the bass to dominate the songs on a rock CD. It just doesn't sound right. If the sub tries to do too much it just ends up sounding like crap. I noticed this at first. Jimi Hendrix just doesn't sound right with a lot of bass. This may have been the only CD I didn't really like with subs playing. Other than that, the subs seemed to perform up to par.

Is there anything I didn't like? Nothing stands out incredibly. As I said, I didn't like the way it sounded with Jimi Hendrix, but this is more likely do to my EQ settings and not the subs. The sub are tight and punchy. They don't get sloppy at all. Inside the vehicle, I can't imagine having anything much louder.

The only thing I might have been a little dissapointed with (and this is a stretch) was the ability to hear the subs outside the car. Now I didn't walk around all over the place with my system cranked up to see how far away I could hear it. I did walk away and see if I could still hear the echo of the bass line. I was in a huge parking lot all by myself so there weren't many buildings/houses/obstructions to enclose the the bass. This may be the reason I was somewhat confused as to how the subs could be so damn loud inside my car and not really much of a factor standing 50 feet away. I could hear the subs and my car rattling, but it wasn't anything special. I suppose If I was in a crowded area with building and such it would have been a different story. Who knows. Seems stupid to compain about, afterall, if it sounds good in the car why should I care how it sounds outside of it?

That pretty much wraps it up. As I've stated before, I haven't heard a ton of other systems, so this is pretty subjective. I'm more of a home audio fan. These subs are borderline overkill inside my jeep. They pound with authority and its hard for me to imagine hearing anything deeper or louder. My rear view mirror was shaking and bouncing up and down so hard I could barely see out of it. However, outside of the Jeep, and I don't know if you are going to scare people walking down the side walk. Again, this shouldn't be a huge factor, but it you simply want to turn people's head outside of your car, you may want a different sub. If you want to blow people away inside your car, this is probably the right one.

Freddaguchi
Unregistered guest
Get the Barics! these people are more bias than fox news is for republicans....Kicker is nice stuff

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I'm guessing Freddaguichi owns Solobarics.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 341
hunter,

yea, i did 138dB legal w/ the brahma 10", but it wasnt in the box that fits under the seat. i have a 3.5cu ft box tuned to 45hz that i used. i have to fold my back seat up to get it in.

that is how i'm gonna get the 2 15's in, i'm gonna either fold the seat up or just take it out. i'm gonna have to compete in a modified class this year...prolly mod 301-900. i just found out that my student refund isnt gonna come back until the end of next month. so i'm only gonna be able to get 1 15" SX for now.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 516
that sucks. i have a friend who has 2 15s in his truck, ext cab. he just took out the back seat completely. if you turn around the vent is right in your face. i think he hits 147 with two entry level memphis' with two concept 1000 watt amps. if your think that taylor paid alot then you will flip to hear how much he paid for his box. 1000 bucks what a f*cking idiot. that is way too much for a box. it was a nice box though, the amps were frenched in it, looks nice but not 1000 dollars nice.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 239
If I got the l7's, I was going to try to do sum trimming on the box, would that work?
My box takes up the whole underneath of the seat, so there is a lot of mdf used, and I think they builted it with all the air space I could get! My sub's face out tward the frunt too!
Marshall, that Probox, did the sub's face out, and do you know how much air space did they have? Also, how much are you asking for that Brhama? I am sure it is to expencive considering I need to sub's, and to find another Brhama would cost me an arm and a leg!

Hey Hunter, them "old men" pay good do they?:-)

Here's my list of sub's I have to pick from...
Eclipse aluminum's
or the L7's
Any other subs that would be better than them, and cost the same or less, i would apreatiate it!

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 521
the eclipse are probably your best bet. ande that way you dont have to cut your 200 dollar box

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 522
would you sell your hx2s? if so how much.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 242
Around $150 for the pare shipped! They have only been used for 2 month, and they are underpowered by 100 rms each, so no abuse on the sub's!
Ya I can git the Eclipse on ebay for $135 a piece, but I was looking ford to only spinding $115 per sub!
Also, how can just changing sub's make it louder? With the same box, same amp, the sub's won't make that much difference will they?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 248
I just read that the L7 I was looking at has been factory renewed, and has a 90 day woranty. Should I trust this? It is at www.hifisoundconnection.com
I really don't like the fact that it has been factory renewed!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 249
It is a 10 and they are asking $119.
What do you think!

Bronze Member
Username: Jldoublew7

Post Number: 19
meh screw all of that get one resonant engineering MT sub. you can get a crazy system that will blow away anything in spl and still really good sq. im getting a re x.x.x 18 with a 1600 watt rms amp and it should blow away any w7 out there hehe. anyways check em out www.REaudio.com

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 263
James, I would love to do that, except I am trying to keep my box!
Unless you want to buy a box that is made for a 98 chevy exed cab for like $150, than I won't be gitting the Mt!
I would love to have 2 10 Mt's though:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
haha yeah, well all im saying is if you go the extra mile to get some really high quality components, even one sub instead of two cheaper ones it pays off.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 272
Ya, the only prob is I have to much money invested in my box, if I can find someone to buy my box. I would use that money along with the rest, and buy 1, maby 2 12's, depending on the price, and having them downfire.
Well, I can dream. lol

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 273
Ya, the only prob is I have to much money invested in my box, if I can find someone to buy my box. I would use that money along with the rest, and buy 1, maby 2 12's, depending on the price, and having them downfire.
Well, I can dream. lol

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 274
Sorry about the double post!
Don't know what happend!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 299
Anyone else have any sugestion's on what I should do?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
how old are you?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 301
17, Why?
Do you know how loud the Alpine Type R's will git? they are only $99 for 10's, but they are 300 rms, and my amp put's out 400 rms to each sub. Is my amp to big for the R's too?

There are to minny type's of sub's! lol

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 52
i doubt it. i just got my other amp today and im going to be running 2 12" type r's and 2 mrd m501. 1 to each sub, and ive seen it done before so. as long as your careful and dont beat the h*ll out of it your good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us