New, need jl audio advice

Username: Chronisch

Post Number: 1
So I want to get two 12w7's, and dont know what kind of speakers to get. I also want to use the 1000/1 amp, but dont know how many I will need total in order to power the subs and the speakers. Is there anyting else that I will need, ANYTHING AT ALL in order to make it all work, or work better? Please write back with suggestions and advice. Thanks so much for your time.

Bronze Member
Username: Atreyurock

Post Number: 26
well the amps you are looking at have only one channel, so u can only hook up one sub for each. the 12w7 need like 600 watts anyways, so you will need 2 1000/1 amps and then a seperate amp for your speakers. component speakers will be the best bet for your front speakers, and for your rears, i wouldnt even bother doing or even connecting to an amp. so my recomend is 2 1000/1 amps, and a seperate 2 channel amp for your speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 146
JL is amazing stuff. I have a 10W7, 500/1, and 300/4 and I love it. Personally I think the dual 12W7's is a bit much but hey not all of us would like to hear when we're 40 years old.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 418
Ok first tom is wrong. You can hook as many speakers as you want to a mono amp as long as you wire them corectly.

As for the amp for your W7s you can go with two JL 500/1 or use one or two JL 1000/1. Honestly the 1000/1 is a little much for one 12w7, but if you are carefull you will be fine.

Since you spending that much cash I would do one or two JL 300/2 on a Dynaudio components set, or a set of Focal Utopias. The reason I sugest 2 JL 300/2 is if your running a head unit, or EQ that will let you biamp the compomemts it will give you more control over your sound.

Michael is corect about two being a little bit to much. One 12W7 in a good box is plenty for me.

Username: Chronisch

Post Number: 2
wow, thanks a lot. So, I should go with 2 500/1 amps, one for each sub, or 1000/1 for both. And and one or two 300/2's for the speakers, dynaudio or focal utopias? and is that all that I need? what about dynomating? should I do that? and if anyone knows an estimate of an installation fee for all this, that would be excellent. thanks a ton for all this.

Unregistered guest
well what i would do in your case, is i would go with 1000/1 for both, the 1000/1 i heard it rated at 1325 when it was tested, and i have two 12W7's with one 1000/1 and newest alpine front and back speakers, and its loud, i have the 300/4 powering the speakers. Later this week im going to get another 1000/1 amp becuase the subs are still under powered by 250w per sub, so i think it will be even better than it already is, plus a 15 farad cap, its quite loud and the bass is intense. All of this is in a 2002 ford explorer. I also heard dynomatting isn't worth the money, i heard that it doesn't work very effectively, my friend has dynomat in his car and it seems like there is no difference ill send you pictures if you want them, just e-mail me if you want them hissclan1@netscape.net

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 476
" dynomatting isn't worth the money, i heard that it doesn't work very effectively, my friend has dynomat in his car and it seems like there is no difference"

Dynomatt makes a huge diffrence, yes it is expencive, and thats why we sugest going to home depo and purchasing peal and seal. It won't work as well as a well made sound deadener, but it is damn close.

Hoestly my last truck had 9 roles of V Block, and a gallon of spray, and the SQ was amazing. A well sound deadoned car or truck will sound way better, period. You can look at it like this, any vibration that isn't in tune with the sound waves, will change the sound quality, and take away from the SPL. V block and other dampening materials keep those vibrations down, there for increasing SPL, and greatly impacting SQ.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us