In need of answers from someone to clear some things up

Username: Xexkxex

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
First off, I know VERY little about car audio...I have been reading for two days trying to put two and two together...
I own 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch HE subs

Specs of each sub:
ohms: 8
RMS: 200w
Peak: 400w

They both were running on a Rockford Fosgate Punch 360.2 2-Channel Amp

Specs of amp:
Dynamic power rating
(IHF-202 standard)measured at 14.4 volts
MONO into a 4 ohm load: 450Wx1
Per Channel into a 2 ohm load: 210Wx2
Per Channel into a 4 ohm load: 140Wx2

Continuous Power Rating
(measured at 13.8 volts)
Both channels driven into 4 ohm load: 90Wx2
Both channels driven into 2 ohm load: 180Wx2
MONO both channels driven into 4 ohm load: 360Wx1

My amp was stolen out of my Cutlass and now I have a full size GMC single cab truck. Best Buy picked these things out over 3 years ago and now I'm looking to buy an amp to go with these speakers. It is my understanding that I should pick an amp that the "Continuous Power Rating" or "Rms" on the amp should be as close to the RMS on the speakers...am I wrong? Shouldn't the ohms come into play with this? ...and I thought 8ohm speakers were for home audio. Anyway, I did find an n in expensive pioneer amp ...the GM-5100T. It has 190Wx2 continuous power at 2 ohms. I am also looking at the RF Punch p5002, it says it has 250Wx2 at 2 ohms RMS.

One more question, if I can squeeze it in here.
Is Nominal the same as RMS or Continuous power? the Pioneer TS-C160R 6.5" REV Components I am buying are 250W max(60 nominal) and the Pioneer TS-P462 4"x6" 2-Way Component Plate Speakers I am getting are 150 Watts Max(50 Nominal). I found a 4-channel Pioneer GM-6100F Amp that has: continuous power(4ohm): 60Wx4
Continuous power(2ohm): 75Wx4
If all I assume is true then would that not be a good amp for the mids and highs. But, if it is, how should I wire the speakers...4ohm or 2ohm...
I hope you guys do not feel as though I unloaded on ya'll. I just have so many things I am confused on. I felt that I should try to ask this stuff here first before I buy a book on it. Thanks for your time. - Charles -

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 550
well, do your he2s have 2 voicecoils? yes nominal, continuous, rms root mean square all mean the same thing. as for an amp and sub rms q. yes, usaully ahving close to the same rms is great. you can either go over a lil or under a lil. this is where the impedence of your subs and amo come in to play.(example) if your amp gets 400x2 watts rms at 2 ohms and your subs only wire down to 4 then you will get half of that power, so it would be only 200x2. make sense? it is best to have an amp and sub combo that match the same rms and ohm impedance. hope this helps. welcome to ecoustics! hope you learn some new stuff here

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 2
I wish they were the HE2's...nope, mine are just the plain old HE's...all my buddies told me I should have got the HE2's DVC...but instead Best Buy talked into getting the 10" HE SVC subs from Rockford Fosgate. I think it was the cheap price that got me. So if my subs are 8ohms and they can only be wired down to 4ohms, that means that they probably wired them to the amp MONO where both channels were driven into a 4 ohm load at 450Wx1(dynamic power rating) and 360Wx1(continuous power rating)....correct? That is of course if the watts from one channel are distributed evenly between the speakers...is that correct? Thanks.
- Charles -

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 3
Bump....I was reading some stuff on this site...
http://www.bcae1.com/
It seems that if I wire my two 8 ohm subs with a parallel speaker connection (the positives(+) from both speakers in the + of one channel and the negatives(-) from both speakers in the - of the other channel) then my load would be reduced to 4ohms.....correct? But as you can see from my amp above that was hooked up to them I would still have a channel left over. Upon further reading I learned about bridging an amp and saw that the amp could be bridged into mono at a 4ohm load. That would be perfect right? So, can I do both?...that is take my 8ohm subs and wire them parallel and bridged on an amp. I'm looking for a for sure answer on what to do guys. Thanks.
- Charles -
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us