2004 Honda Accord LX

Username: Adam2312

Post Number: 1
I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX. I am considering installing an aftermarket deck but the aesthetics of my dash would change quite a bit. If anyone is familiar with modifying this vehicle's HU, please offer me some advice.

Is it necessary to install an aftermarket deck? I am wondering if upgrading the speakers would increase the sound quality enough to preclude installing a new deck. I have been searching high and low on the internet to determine the specifications of my stock HU and speakers to no avail.

I would really love to simply replace the stock speakers with aftermarkets w/o touching the headunit. Any advice about this being a bad/good idea is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Adam

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 290
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/Dash_Kits_Harnesses_DASH_KITS_POCKETS__TRIM_ME TRA_TURBO2_T2_RADIO_DASH_KIT_page_1_c_502.html

Replacing the aftermarket deck is your best bet for improving sound quality. Factory decks put out a very low amount of power therefor many have problems pushing aftermarket speakers. Thats why most people sugest you replacing the deck as the first step of building a stereo system.

The link I put above conects you with the dash adapter that will work with your car. The only Accords that the kit won't work with is the models with the 6 disk in dash changer.
There is another adapter that puts the radio down below (were the flip up storage door is now). The second kit is alot cheaper. Around 30 to 40 bucks, so if money is a big deal you can use it instead.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2859
Yep, what kind of audio do you have in that Accord, the 6 disc, or other options?

Post Number: 2
Thank you both for your replies :-)

Jonathan: I have only the single disc CD player (+ AM/FM of course). No other options. It sounds like I was lucky not to get other options as it will be easier to now upgrade.

Jeremy: thank you for the link. I've seen that image around the internet and each time wonder how different the illumination of the buttons would be in comparison to the stock buttons. Although this may seem trivial, it is important to me. Have you seen this kit installed? If so, would you describe its looks in comparison to the stock dash?

Thank you for the alternative, money-conscious option. Cost is always an issue, but I will pay what is necessary to get it done right the first time. About putting the aftermarket deck down below: will I then have 2 decks? Would the speakers run off of both units?

It seems like from what you both said, I would be wise to first install an aftermarket deck so long as I don't have any special options in my current head unit.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 298
I have not seen it yet. I am getting the EX so it won't work with my accord. However metra has been around for years and has done a good job matching their kits with the interior of the car they are designing it for. I will almost bet it will be the same color. You could always call you local stereo shop. I am pretty sure they will know.

As for putting the deck below, that kit comes with a wire harness that disconects your speakers from the factory deck, but still alows the rest of the controls on your radio to work (air conditioning and so on).

I allway sugest the after market deck as the first step to building a stereo. It will give you better sound quality throughout all aditions to your stereo. Even if you had the EX accord. I would still sugest it. The only diffrence would be your options on were to install the deck. The results in the end would be the same.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have found some pictures of two kinds of installations for the 2003-2005 Honda Accord. I hope they are useful to you.

Happy New Year!!

Bottom Mount

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/632570/2

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/339307

Top Mount

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/575049/3

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/449694/2

Post Number: 3
Those pictures were exactly what I was looking for Ivan. Thank you many, many times over!

Happy New Year to you! :-)

Unregistered guest
I definately prefer the bottom mount, the stock HU looks beautiful, not to mention replacing with aftermarket invites thieves.

Where is a link for the bottom mount kit?

Unregistered guest
I have the Metra Turbo 2 kit installed in my 2003 LX sedan. The first one I recieved malfunctioned and the a/c controls didn't work. When I spoke to Metra, they said it was the first one they've had a problem with since it has been on the market. Fortunately I bought the kit from Crutchfield, since they have top notch customer service, getting it replaced was not a problem. I think the Turbo 2 looks pretty good for an aftermarket replacement. In my opinion it would be a waste of space to install the lower mount dash kit and I really don't think it looks good. First your old stock h/u would just sit there unused, taking up space. Second you would be robbed of the center storage area with the flip up door. In my case, I had a 7" flip out display, and the lower mount unit simply would not work with the display. The only con that I have for the kit, is that the marker for the knobs of the a/c control don't illuminate with the rest of the kit. So, at night time, I have to guess where the temperature and fan levels are at. I keep a cover over my h/u when I park my car so potential theives aren't tempted, plus tinted windows further reduce visibility inside my car. It looks like a pretty much stock unit, so if you do a good job of making your h/u not stand out while you are away, you should be fine.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info Timothy.

The illumination was definitely a concern of mine. I am still looking for images of this unit at night. How is the illumination of the buttons other than the temperature and fan level knobs?

If you could Timothy, would you take a couple pictures of your unit at night and post them, or send me some by e-mail? It would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that the Metra Turbo 2 kit looks pretty good (from the above pictures) with a screen (like your 7" screen) taking up the dead space; but without such a screen, I think there is quite a bit of blank space that begs for something to be there.

What deck did you decide to go with?

It sounds like you installed your kit yourself. If so, was it easy?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us