PPI PCX440 enough for 6.5" comps?

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 88
Will the PPI PCX440 be enough to power a set of infinity 6000cs comps and one 12" sub?

The amp is rated at 40x4 and 160x2 bridged. I know PPI makes great amps, and I'm pretty sure those specs are at 12v power, but i want to make sure i'm not underpowering my speakers.

The Infinity comps are rated at 2-90RMS.

The two subs i was looking at are the Type-R and the infinity reference. Both are rated at up to 300RMS. The infinity has a sensitivity of 92dB as opposed to 87dB for the Alpine. Should i get the Infinity (92dB sens.) since i'm only giving it 160 watts?

Budget is an issue and I can pick up the PPI amp for $170 - seems like a good deal for such a quality amp...if it will be enough power.

Thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 234
I wouldn't power an entire system on that. 40x2 to components and 160x1 to the sub, you'd be giving your equipment less than half of rms. I'd do the 160x2 to the components and get another amp for whatever sub you decide to choose.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 89
thanks for the reply. that is what i was thinking of doing, but 2 amps is out of the budget right now. i was thinking about doing this setup to get me started and then add a second amp for the sub down the road. will this get me started at least?

my other alternative was a hifonics zx6400 amp that is 85x4 RMS. that would be enough power for the whole system, but i would rather buy a better, smaller amp for now and upgrade later.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 90
glass, johnathan, isaac, damien...any opinions?

how does 40w RMS at 12v compare to something rated at 13.8v or 14.4v? I looked up ohms law on bcae1.com but i cant seem to make the conversion. P=I*E - what is the I? cant seem to figure it out. Is 40w at 12v comparable to 50w at 13.8v? Thanks guys.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 92
how about the Diamond Audio 400.4? It's rated at 50x4. Does anyone know if that is at 12V or 13.8V?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us