Blown

Username: Aron

Post Number: 2
i have a blown rockford fosgate hx2 rfd1212 is it possible to get it fixed and if it is would it be worth it to fix it?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1112
yeah you can get it re-built.
contact RF and get prices.
If they don't rebuild it for you, try here:
www.circuitshop.com

Cheaper than a enw sub for sure.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
yup wolf is correct and id try rf first.
i rebuild them myself and heres a couple suppliers i use:
www.speakerworks.net

and http://www.simplyspeakers.com/16reconing.htm
which simply speakers has great prices and not only sells kits to rebuild them yourself but they also will do the rebuilding.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1121
if you don't have the proper tools for aligning the cone and coil in the magnet structure when re-adhering the enw surround, and things of that nature, you may not want to try this yourself, but DIY is always an option.

I had circuitshop re-surround 4 woofers for me for a pair of home speakers and they did a terrific job. Mine here unconventional speakers so they cost me a bit more for the work, but $35 each still wasn't bad.
It beat the $300 each to replace the four 8" woofers with new ones from the only authorized US repair center for the company.

Anonymous

congradulations, you have put yourself out of misery! Say goodbye to that pathetic sub! Get some real subs now man!

Post Number: 3
it wasnt my first choice of sub a friend gave it to me for free so i figured i didnt have anything to lose

Post Number: 4
what could be wrong with the speaker if it sounds good when it isnt turned up very loud but when you turn it up it sounds distorted? its only running on 300watts shouldnt it be able to handle more?

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
it sounds like the voice coil is damaged and whenever ive run into that type of situation when i cut the speaker apart ive usually found the voice coil has started to seperate and a few windings were making the rattling (at high volume but at lower it played ok) and i replace the voice coils but in any event yeah glasswolf is right and it would be best to have it sent off for repair and hey if you got it for free then this being an hx2 if you get it fixed youd be getting a pretty pricey sub for a very neglible cost and im not sure what you could expect to pay in repairs but if it was under maybe 100 youd be getting a real bargain and end up with a brand new/used sub thats as good as new!
jay
p.s. that sub is in the 250-300 price range just to give you an idea.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 107
Hey Jay I saw that you said you rebuild speakers and stuff do you know of a site who carries re-coning materials for JL Audio Subs I have a JL12W3 here in my room and I burnt the Voice coil pretty good just decided to take the whole thing apart and all thats left now is the magnet and the steel Frame basket.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
hi hydro and hmm well for the speaker in particular you might want to try www.speakerbits.com and i like them as a source for the serious rebuild from the v.c. up type of jobs but they may be able to find something dimensionally the same to work for you or if they cant then perhaps contacting jl direct might be an option of course im sure jl would rather you sent it back or bought a new one.
hopefully you have the old v.c. so you can take some measurements off it.
im sure speakerbits can find something that will work for you though and get the jl back in action :-)
jay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us