Want to run subs off wall socket.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 329
I have a bunch of crappy subs and speakers from when I was younger and bought junk, and it would be more hassle than anything to sell them. How would I go about running stuff in my room? Is there any way I could convert the wall socket down to 12 volts? I don't have a bigger cd player in my room, so the only way I'd be able to run stuff is from a diff. power source.

Bronze Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 96
i dont think that u can do that and if u can i think ive heard that its very dangerous(FIRE HAZARD)...lol the only way i know of doing that is runnign them off a cd player as jsut normal speakers in their boxes...
hope that was helpfull...

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 330
Really? I thought I had heard of people running amps off wall sockets before? There's gotta be something you can buy to change the volts, I would think. Maybe I'm crazy.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 97
i dont know never heard of it but now that once there was a thread on here and glass wolf told some guy that it was very dangerous and not to good to run car audio equipement..but maybe u can jsut check it out...

Bronze Member
Username: Americanbass

Post Number: 33
they will blow my friend does it with his crappy speakers he said it is hilarious

Bronze Member
Username: Americanbass

Post Number: 34
they will blow my friend does it with his crappy speakers he said it is hilarious we plugged in a tiny audio baun and it didn't blow it just flexed all the way out hook it up to a 12v battery and see what happens lol it is great hook mids up to a 9v battery

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 179
i do its cubanthug4lif305

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 181
ignore my post somethings wrong with my computer

JuNGLiST
Unregistered guest
You can buy a converter from radio shark or somethign for running an amp off of house current.

Anonymous

you need to buy a power inverter.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 332
That's what i thought. I'm not trying to plug my subs directly into a wall socket, at 120 volts they will blow, I know I've seen it before. What I wanted was a way to CONVERT the current to 12 volts. I know it can be done, what do you think transformers are for.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 105
i know u can but an inverter but i jsut heard it was dangerous to run the amp in the house like that but if it works for u than great...i guess it would be pretty cool to have them in ur room...

Bronze Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 38
yeah you can get a power inverter from like radioshack or sumin... or what you can do is get a DJ amp... it plugs directly into a socket and runs off 120V or w/e a socket is and then you hook your subs up to it... i have 3 12s in my room running off a pyle 1000 watt DJ amp... i bought the stuff when i was little so i didnt really know wat i was doing as in i bought crappy subs and everything but it did work quite well for a home system... hope i helped....g;luck

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 333
Cool. Thanks guys.

Username: Jldoublew7

Post Number: 10
Ive got a friend who has 2 15's in his room hooked up with his xbox, tv, and computer. THEY BOOM it shakes his entire apartment. Im not sure how he has it hooked up but i know its possible and i know that he has never had a problem.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
I did the same thing at a lan party but we had 4 tuners going into eachother from one "source" to make the "signal", last one had "loud", but for home audio I wouldnt use a sub that needs more than 100wRMS, I still use old ones on my tuner for the entertainment center.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us