I NEED HELP BEFORE 6 A CLOCK MONDAY NIGHT...lol

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 103
Ok Guys...ive had this craving to make a custom fiberglass box...first off...what are the pro's and con's of this...and how should i make it for a 10 inch eclipse Ti...anything anytthing will be helpful exact measurements....everything lol...thanks....ok....i need to know how to do this...what to use...how much it costs...where to get...anything to do this...here is what i was told from a friend of what to do...take a garbage bag fill it with this foam stuff and whatever it is...mold the foam to however i want it and then take fiberglass resin and like wax it on with cheesecloth or whatever...idk...and then idk how to make it strong enough that i can stnad on it and hold my sub...then just take a razorblade or spoon and take out the foam stuff inside...is this anywhere near to correct...if not pleae tell me exactly how to do it...thanks SOOOOO MUCH GUYS

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 150
Some cons are the price of materials... The pain to make the mold.. thats about it.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 867
...i would reccommend reading up alot more on it before you go and buy fiberglass resin to play with...

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 104
how much does it all cost

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 178
it gets a lil price more than wood for sure if u buy it though make sure u go to a marine fibreglass shop or something where its alot cheaper price will vary i think its like a buck a sqaure yard though
the foam idea would work i guess seems kind of unecessary though

if u want to see how the pros do it go to
www.alpine-usa.com under the "support" tab go to demo cars and they will have pages and pages of how they did there kickass fibreglass show cars. there are other pages on the web aswell just search for it

Bronze Member
Username: Djr_81

New york Usa

Post Number: 14
heres a good site for the basics. http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 111
ok guys...ive dont alot of research on all of this the past few days and i think im going to give it a shot this weekend lol...so...basically i have a few more questions sooo...

well...what is resin? hardner? and the actual glass stuff? is it all a liquid or what is it all?...and im going to build a box for just a ten inch eclipse...so how can i determine how much space is on the inside of the box...and how much should i use to do that...also...and the rings that i have to build...is there anywhere i can buy those instead of building them.?

after im done with the box...what should i use to paint it...just paint...spraypaint..what looks the best..and what color does everyone suggest lol...i have a green car lol and a silver sub...thanks...illl think of more but im in class right now so i cant type much

Bronze Member
Username: Djr_81

New york Usa

Post Number: 15
the resin is the syrupy brown "glue" (for lack of a better word). The hardener is a catalyst that will make the resin solidify into it's final form. The hardener comes as a paste in a tube similar to a tube of toothpaste. The "glass stuff" is fiberglass matting. This gets coated in resin mixed with hardener to build up surfaces for strength.
To build the box to the right size build it roughly the same dimensions as an MDF box. When finished fill it completely with something you can measure, i.e. sand. Get the volume of the sand a compare it to the required airspace. Use polyfill stuffing to make the sub think it has more airspace, or fill airspace inside box with something to cut down on airspace (like a fastened piece of scrap wood.

To finish the surface you have a couple choices, carpeting, vinyl, paint. If you're going to paint it use a paintgun or spraypaint though, brushing/rolling would look real bad. Good luck with the box.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 179
u cant buy the rings that i know of you need either a router or a jigsaw to make one

if u decide to paint it .. it will take alot of sanding and prep work to make it look decent and prefferably get someone to spray it when its ready to go
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us