1000 RMS sub....amp question...?

Bronze Member
Username: Brett2387

Burlington, WI United States

Post Number: 15
I have a 1000 watt RMS subwoofer...I have only a 200 watt RMS amplifier powering it...will anything happen if the gain is high? I need help... how much would be sufficient to power it?

Bronze Member
Username: Sparkey2027

Barnstaple, England England

Post Number: 36
you need at least like a decent 500w rms amp ideally a 1000w rms amp. what is the impedance of the sub first.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 315
if it is too high then the amp will eventually break down and die. especially if you have the sub wired at too low of an impedence for the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
the sub is a audiobahn alum12q. I have it in a sealed box that is 1.0 cu. ft. do u have any amp suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 809
connect the sub to a power outlet like the one in your house in a free-air application...it should sound about the same...if not better...

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 337
i dont know the specs on the alum12, but go a little lower power then what the rms says because bahn are know to blow. and with that small of a box take off a little more power. idsay 75- 100 below what the manual says

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 338
oops i didnt read the old posts, but i would run the bahn at 750 watts.it would be okay. as for an amp i think it is called a 8000at or something. its 800watts rms at 4 ohms. that will be a good match

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
so run the A8000T or the A8002T? will it sound louder...if i put the 800 RMS amp to it? cuz i have only a 200 RMS amp? but i can buy the A8000T or the A8002T.
Im really new to this....lol sorry. I would assume it would be louder from getting 800 watts instead of 200.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 339
yes it will sound louder. and better. i think you can buy the a8000t almost anywhere. it seems that audiobahn gear is a dime a dozen. look on ebay and any othewr internet retailer. oh ya and if you want to get a little louder,which the answer better be yes,try a vented box. it should have at least a 2in. port. that is if you dont already have one

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 340
its cool about being new to it all. i can tell your pretty new to it anyway....audiobahn. but you will grow out of it.lol.everyone has to start somewhere. im still new to the car audio world

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
it says to use a sealed inclosure....would a vented still be better? will the sub. still handled the wattage?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 341
yes i think the vented would be better in terms of loudness and response,usually it takes more poweer to run it in vented box. but the amp we discussed will work perfect. im getting one from jeff loughrey as we speak.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
ok thanks 4 the info. :-) i will buy a vented box soon then. and the A80002T the specs are 800RMS x 2 bridged....the A8000T only would give me 400 RMS @ 4

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
the A8002T can be bridged to produce 800RMS @ 4 ohms bridged and the A800T would be 400RMS @ 4 ohms cuz its a mono channel

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 345
oh. the a8002t would be a good setup for that sub.

chi town guy
Unregistered guest
whats up every one....i need help in finding some amps for my subs.my brother bought me 6 12's in a sealed box they are rockford fosgate rfp 4412 they are 200 watts rms and 400 watts peak and 4 ohms.. i know nothing about this stuff but they look very nice and i think they should be pretty loud if any one has any ideas on the amps or amp i should use to get the most out of these subs PLEASE HELP and also do i need another bat,or a capassider i seen you guys talking about that a few post ago WELL THANKS IN ADVANCE PS i have a 94 chevy astro

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 346
ok. i thought about it and i think that if you get 3 400 watt amps you should be good. im sure the rockford has a punch 400.1 amp. you will need 3. not sure on your budget or the price. you will also need an amp wiring kit for 1200 watts. you will need to get a distibution block with fuses. what that is...is it will take your main power wire and distribute it to your 3 amps. your amp kit should have a main power wire with inline fuse, a ground wire,rcas,and a remote wire. your main power wire will need to be at least 4gauge. the lower the number the better. then the power wires after the dist. block will need to be at least 8gauge. in your inline fuse a 100amp+ fuse will be needed. your ground wire should be AT LEAST 8gauge also. you will hook this to bare metal directly on the frame of your van. the rcas will run from the back of yjour vans head unit(cd player) allthe way to your amp. this part im fuzzy about but, then you hook the rcas from input to output to each amp. like i said im not sure on that part, but if you post this in amps isaac or glasswolf will help hopefully. you run your remote wire from your remote wire in your hu. to the amps. this wire can be spliced to all three amps. as for your van handling this look into a high output alternator. that is the best place to start. ask in the amp section and you will get better help. i tried. sorry if this does not help0 you at all. dont buy anything until you get more help.

chi town guy
Unregistered guest
hunter warren thanks for the info. but what ohms should i look for on the amps;do you know of any other amps or is it best to match it all with fosgate?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 361
it depends on your subs. are they dual voice coils or single. you can try looking for a massive 6 channel amp. i think that hifonics makes one. its called the zues 6 channel or something i dont know of that many. if you run one big amp then you wont have the rca problem

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 362
it depends on your subs. are they dual voice coils or single. you can try looking for a massive 6 channel amp. i think that hifonics makes one. its called the zues 6 channel or something i dont know of that many. if you run one big amp then you wont have the rca problem

CHITOWN GUY
Unregistered guest
ok hunter ive came across an idea from a couple of friends but they have about the same smarts about this as i do so please tell me if you think this set up would work and what kind of box i should have made a ported or sealed and if my math is right on the ohms and watts that each sub will be getting
[OK HERE WE GO]
#1 I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING TWO MORE SUBS THAT WOULD GIVE ME A TOTAL OF 8 12INCH ROCKFORD FOSGATE SUBS RFP4412'S THEY ARE 4OHMS 2OO WATTS RMS AND 400 MAX
#2 I WAS TOLD TO GET 2 JBL 1200.1 AMPS THEY ARE 1OHM STABLE AT 1200WATS BP1200.1

WITH THAT BEING SAID WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS

#3OK IF I TAKE 4 12'S AND HOOK THEM UP TO 1 AMP AT 1OHM WOULD THIS GIVE ME 3OO WATTS TO EACH SUB AND WOULD 300WATTS BE TO MUCH FOR THESE SUBS CAUSE THAT IS RIGHT BETWEEN THE RMS & PEEK OF THE SUB
THEN I WILL DO THE SAME WITH THE OTHER 4 SUBS AND THE LAST AMP [SO THATS WHAT IVE CAME TO SO FAR]
[NOW]
DO YOU THINK THAT SOUNDS LOGICAL AND SAFE AND DO YOU THINK THAT WOULD HIT HARD ALSO WHAT KIND OF BOX WOULD GIVE OUT HARDER BASS PORTED OR SEALLED
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
TELL WHAT YOU THINK BEFORE I BLOW MY STUFF UP[LOL]

[THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR TIME AND HELP]

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 363
it would work. im not sure if those subs can take 300 watts they should but, if you dsoubt it just be easy on the gains. a ported box will give you better and more responsive bass, but the only problem with that is ported boxes take up a lot of space and with 8 subs it will be massive. you will just have to wire all the subs to the amps one channel but i dojt think that will create a problem. i think it will work
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us