JL audio questions W7

Username: Jldoublew7

Post Number: 2
yo im picking up a a new ride, BMW 740iL. It is pimpin but i gotta pick up a system for it that will pound. Im definately going JL audio W7's. im deciding on what to get, t 10inch w7s pushing 2 500/1 jl amps or 1 13.5 pushing a 1000/1 amp. i want to know what will be clearer and louder. if there are subs out there that are better and cheaper, i might go with them instead. which i believe w7 are the name in subwoofers so i think im on the right track. also what box should i run? I can prolly drop about 1500 into this thx..

-James

Username: Nnnnick_b

Post Number: 3
JL isnt the "only" good sub manufacturer. Look into Resonant Engineering ( www.REaudio.com ). Take a look at the triple X. I think u can get 2 12's for just under 900$ if i'm not mistaken. I also believe they have slightly more overall excursion then a 13w7.

Bronze Member
Username: Aaaavv

Post Number: 15
2 10 inch w7's sound better then 1 13 inch w7. the two 10's combined will move more air then the 13. 20 inches vs. 13

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3018
The actual size comparison of a driver relates to it's surface area, not it's diameter. 2 10 inch subs won't have the same surface area as one 20" sub would. Think about it this way, take a water hose and start unwinding it. When you unwind the outer ring of the hose, it's much longer than it is at the innermost point. It just has more circumference. That's how surface area works. The 10W7 has a surface area of 386cm^2, while the 13W7 has a surface area of 693cm^2. So 2 10W7s combined would have a combined surface area of 772cm^2. BUT, the 13W7 has a longer throw than the 10W7 does, it has 32mm one way while the 10W7 has 23mm one way. SPL will be about the same for the comparison, the SQ is very similar. The 13W7 will be able to drop lower than the 10W7, though.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3019
By the way, Using the Vd (volume of displacement) method to determine which subs will move more air, which is Sd multiplied by Xmax, the 13W7 would displace 2.21 cubic meters, while the a 10W7s would displace .88 cubic meters, equalling 1.77 total with two drivers.

Post Number: 3
it seems very hard to find RE triple x x x subs.. i was checking out their better line of subs, the mt, those look HARD CORE.

but anyways im into very deep clear power bass. always like the low notes better.

I was also wondering how a W7 13.5 would hit with a PHOENIX GOLD XENON X1200.1 MONO, it has 1200 watts rms. i see one on ebay for about 450 or so. that would save me a couple bills. advice needed thx..

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 192
You can call up RE today and have a sub sent to you in about a week, X.X.X or MT. The X.X.X is an SQL sub and the MT is specifically for SPL.

The Phoenix Gold or a 1000/1 would both be plenty for the W7.

Post Number: 4
so basically what is better x x x or mt, im not familiar with spl or sql w/e that means. im a newbie. but i want good bass. so should i go RE with MT or x x x and what amp, or w7 and phoenix. i need to decide thx,

James

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 193
If you want good bass, you'll want the X.X.X. The MT is for getting as loud as you can possibly make it. The X.X.X is for sounding good at high levels.

The W7 and the X.X.X are equally good subs, you'll just want to hear them yourself before you choose one. You may want a little more power than the 1000/1 for an X.X.X, but a 1000/1 would go good with the 13W7.

I have an Orion 2500d coming in the mail this week for me to put on my 12" X.X.X.

SQ = Sound Quality, The integrity and accuracy of the sound being produced.
SPL = Sound Pressure Level, Loudness.
SQL = A mixture of the two, Good sound at high levels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us