Is it possible to run 2 dual 4 ohm subs at 1ohm into a mono amp??

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineblaster

Post Number: 26
need answer fast thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 96
yes
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=14&image.y=6

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
on the diagram are those little pods representing 2 diffrent speakers or a dual voice coil????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
if i have a 2 channel amp that is bridegable then can i use taht diagram to make it work at 1ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Krijgy

Smithfield, Virginia United states

Post Number: 19
ok heres the answer: yes
heres how : run two wires from the posititve lead on the amp to each port on the subwoofer box and do the same to the negatives so that in reality there are a total of 4 wires running from the amp. this will be a parallel setup cutting the ohms down to 2 a peice. then inside the box wire the subs up parallel according to the manufacturer and that will once again cut the ohms from 2 down to 1. any question?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
so run four wires from the amp in bridge mode or regular??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
yeah it didnt work for me i have two alpine type x 12s with 4 ohm dual voice coils

Bronze Member
Username: Krijgy

Smithfield, Virginia United states

Post Number: 22
you can run it from each channel... i diddnt know you had a 2 channel ampso just run each channel positive to positive and negative to negative. then run it in parallel, sorry bout the confusion.

Mr. Know A Little
Unregistered guest
if amp is stable @ 1 ohm just wire both subs in parallel. If stable @ 2 ohms wire both subs to a voice coil each. If only stable @ 4 ohms just wire both subs in series.

Mr. Know A Little
Unregistered guest
if amp is stable @ 1 ohm just wire both subs in parallel. If stable @ 2 ohms wire both subs to a voice coil each. If only stable @ 4 ohms just wire both subs in series.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1066
In case you're still confused, 2 4ohm DVC will give you 1ohm load. So you should be able to use 1ohm stable mono amp with them.
To get your 2 subs down to 1ohm, wire pos to pos and neg to neg on each subs. Now you take the pos and neg from each sub and connect them to the amp's pos and neg. This will connect both subs in parallel, thus giving you 1ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yeah it worked but i was trying to bridge it that didnt work since its a 2 channel amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1068
If your amp is 2 channel, you can either attach each sub to the separate channel (make sure it's 2ohms stable in stereo mode), or you can bridge the amp and use it as mono (assuming it's 1ohm stable bridged). Either way, it'll work.

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
if thats true why cant i run my 2 12" 1241d type r's with my mrd m501? i was told that i could only hook up one sub to that amp and i needed to get another mrd m501 for the other sub. is that true?

Bronze Member
Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 45
I think its because alot of 2CH and 4CH amps would not be stable if bridge to accept a 2ohm or less load... is this correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
Jimbo911, your mrd m501 amp is 2ohms stable. So to connect your 2 subs, make sure they both add up to 2ohms load. Let's say your subs are 2ohms DVC. Connect each voice coil in series so that you get 4ohms per sub. Now connect them together to get 2ohms total. It'll work fine in that configuration. If however, your subs are 4ohms DVC, then you can connect them in series to get 8ohms per sub and then parallel them to get 4ohms. Now it'll work as 4ohms load on the amp.
Your goal is to match the subs' ohms to the amp's ohm requirement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us