600 dollars and two or three subs..what to do..what to do...............

Bronze Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 28
well i have 600 hundred dollars.. as for amps im not concerned with them yet. I was thinking about 3 15 alpine type r's. two 12 alpine type x's. or one 15' brahma. This would go into a 99 gmc yukon. Any other subs that i should look into in the price range?? thanks.

Username: Fatryan

Post Number: 6
4 kicker solobaric s12l7's. 3000watts...

Bronze Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 30
I noticed the subs you listed are good sq subs as well as spl, so the solobaric's won't do you much good in the sq department. Out of the subs you listed I would go with the 2 type X's.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 766
4 cerwin vega vmax's....or you could get crazy, get like 8 8" sub from RE audio's RE line, build a wall!

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 83
the new type r's are out wait for them and get 3 of those same surround design as the type x and improved power handling smae price

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
actually, solobarics have very good SQ. they do also slam like no other, but their SQ is very good too. you just gotta know what your doing when you design your box

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2940
Compared to what? I could list plenty of subs that could outdo the Solobaric in both SQ and SPL. The square design results in uneven stress points, equalling cone flex, increasing distortion, and requiring more bracing to make the cone strong enough, resulting in more mass to the cone, this also translates into reducing SPL and SQ at higher volumes. It also makes the sub power hungry for the SPL you get, hence your recommendation of 3000 watts, when there are subs that could outdo it with much less power. Lead slap is an issue with the subs, the surrounds tend to fail prematurely, there are many issues with the Solos. The cone area you gain isn't really a benefit because the subwoofer has limited excursion, again due to the square design. Any sub with a higher excursion can offset the initial surface area benefit of the L7, and with enough displacement, surpass the L7 in SPL. SQ of the L7 is a joke compared to an equivalent round cone subwoofer, the subs motors are designed for SPL and tend to overdamp of the driver, the linearity of the system isn't anything spectacular either, plus you have the drawbacks of the square cone design. You have to know what subs you're comparing the Solobaric to when you talk about it's SQ. You have to know what you're doing when designing any subwoofer box, so that comment is really pointless.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
dude, your a moron. solobarics are some of the top SPL subs out there. so saying that they are bad for SPL just makes you look like an idiot. sure, they arent designed for SQ, but if you know what your doing, you can make them produce beautiful sounds. most idiots out there with these subs dont know jack about car audio, so of course their's sound like crap. but if you know what your doing, youd be suprised at the performance these subs make. ive been around and ive heard MANY subs. i am in no way saying theyre the best for SQ, but they can be very good. why do you think theyre so damn popular? and i said to get 4 L7's, cause he coulc get them for under $600 on ebay, not cause thats what it'll take to equal the performance of a similar traditional design. 1 L7 is more than enough, but 4 would just be sick. and i dunno where you heard that the surrounds fail prematurly. cause that is the complete opposite of the truth. and no you dont have to know what your doing when your building a box. any idiot could build a box. but if your not an idiot, you can build a box that will compliment the L7's in SQ very well. like i did...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2945
Do you realize how many posts I've corrected you on? You're calling me a moron? Please.

"i am in no way saying theyre the best for SQ, but they can be very good. why do you think theyre so damn popular?"

Because they're mass produced, aka cheaper. Also they're different, the car audio field has turned to aesthetics over true performance. There are also more Kicker retailers out there than other high end subs.

"dude, your a moron. solobarics are some of the top SPL subs out there. so saying that they are bad for SPL just makes you look like an idiot."

We're talking about daily applications, not competition. Competition SPL is totally different than SPL in a daily application. Competition depends on how the sub performs at the tuning frequency of the enclosure, how much power you'll have and how strong the motor of the subwoofer is. Saying that SPL subs are usually tuned to the resonant frequency of the vehicle, the sub only has to be a one note wonder and is tuned in the 60s-70s usually. You don't really need a fantastic design to win SPL comps, it boils down to how many subs you have, how well you build the box, how you integrate it all, the vehicle you have, and your subs will need to have a strong motor and decent excursion. In a daily application, a sub is required to produce a broader frequency range accurately, and produce SPL doing it, and that is where the L7 falls short. The typical everyday sealed or ported enclosure have much more excursion than the competition designed box, the L7 suffers at this. It's a matter of matching the horse to the course, don't call me an idiot just because you don't acknowledge the difference. L7s are IN SPL comps, but 99% of competitors are sponsored, aren't they? Would you turn down free subs? It's not so much about what you think is best, it's about who's offering what. Kicker is one of the biggest sponsors out there, and is widely known, so naturally a lot of L7s are in competitions. It doesn't mean they're winning a lot of comps though, DD and RE are winning a lot more SPL comps lately.

"and i dunno where you heard that the surrounds fail prematurly. cause that is the complete opposite of the truth."

Because I owned a shop. I've seen plenty of L7s come in with surround problems, thus, I didn't hear it, I discovered it.

"and no you dont have to know what your doing when your building a box. any idiot could build a box."

Sure, any idiot could put together a box, but it takes more work to build the proper box for your application, and even more advanced knowledge when trying to match the box for your specific vehicle. The best sub will still sound bad in a crappy box, and a crappy sub can sound halfway decent in a well designed box.

Bronze Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 29
The 15" Type-R Series Subwoofer (4ohm + 4ohm) has been on my mind the most, as well as the type x which is also my second. but 3 15's should make me happy. I had 2 15jlw6's in my car before and they hit hard. I think 3 15's would make me cry tears of joy. Anyways, I've looked up some amps and was thinking about the hifonics BX1500D to power all 3 of them. Little overrated but should be fine right?. Or i can get one MTX THUN 1004 1000 watts at 4 channels, bride it at 2 channels 4 ohms and should give the subs 500 each, because i have a extra mtx 6500d amp to push the third one. Building the box also, any recommendations on ported,seal, and what volume should the box be for 3 15's each in its down compartment. THanks..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
"Do you realize how many posts I've corrected you on? You're calling me a moron? Please."

HA! you corrected me? in that other post, i dont know why but my reply didnt show up. but what i said was that i mixed up the wording on resistance. i do it all the time. but aside from that what are you right about that im not? cause i havent seen 1 thing yet.

"Because they're mass produced, aka cheaper. Also they're different, the car audio field has turned to aesthetics over true performance. There are also more Kicker retailers out there than other high end subs. "

and just cause Kickers are mass produced, doesnt mean theyre popular. im not talking about "spoiled little rich kid who dont know jack about car audio" popular, im talking about comp. and i wasnt aware that we were only talking about daily apps. i just thought it was an overall opinion floating around this discussion. perhaps i missed a post or something...anyways, i really find it odd that youve ran into sooo many problems with solobarics. ive yet to here of a chronic problem like you describe from any sub from the solobaric line. sure, theres a mistake here and there, but i have never heard of this b4, especially a problem with the surround. where do you live? is it an extremely cold or hot climate?

"...Would you turn down free subs? It's not so much about what you think is best, it's about who's offering what. Kicker is one of the biggest sponsors out there, and is widely known, so naturally a lot of L7s are in competitions. It doesn't mean they're winning a lot of comps though, DD and RE are winning a lot more SPL comps lately. "

your starting to sound like a paraniod schizophrentic. everything is pointing to kicker making great stuff, but you still deny it. you gotta understand that im not trying to say that solobarics are the best. they aren't...by far. i know that. but they are very good subs compared to most other crap out there.

"Sure, any idiot could put together a box, but it takes more work to build the proper box for your application, and even more advanced knowledge when trying to match the box for your specific vehicle. The best sub will still sound bad in a crappy box, and a crappy sub can sound halfway decent in a well designed box."

my point exactly.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2961
Kicker does make great stuff, I don't deny it, but I personally don't classify the L7s as part of it. The L7s do have many build quality issues,that's why there are so many refurbished L7s readily available from car audio dealers. Just something I've experienced when we carried them. Their components, amps, CVRs, processors, etc. are all great. Oh, I live in Georgia, by the way, not cold by any means, we do have hot, humid summers though :-). One of the current dbdragracing champions won finals with all Lightning Audio equipment, so it kinda proves it's more about who's setting the system up over the quality of the components. I tend to look more into the build quality and overall design of the subwoofer over what numbers whoever hit with it. I'm not a huge SPL fanatic either, though, keep that in mind. Sorry if I sounded like a d*ck above, I was in a bad mood yesterday.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 283
Ryan just quit. Jonathan knows more about car audio than you'll ever know in your lifetime, and he'll kick your @ss at any stupid arguement you have about your crappy kickers.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 284
Ryan just quit. Jonathan knows more about car audio than you'll ever know in your lifetime, and he'll kick your @ss at any stupid arguement you have about your crappy kickers.

Username: Aluminumcone

Pennsville, NJ U.S.A.

Post Number: 9
The Kicker L7 line has horrible SQ and the SPL doesn't make up for the losses. But the Comp VR subs deserve some credit

Bronze Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 66
The Kicker solobaric's are good subs, there just not as grate as the other subs like the Adire Brhama, Alpine's, Re, and Eclipse. The solobaric's are nice subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us