Material for enclosure

Bronze Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 17
What is the best material to build a box for a sub? And the width? Im using a 15" 2250Watts RMS. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1200
id say get a new sub and a new alias but that wont help you at all..

3/4" to 1" MDF is the best, and im guessing thats an audiobahn sub. i would double baffle the front to make the box stronger and apply internal bracing too. witha sub that large, you'll need alot of containment

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1201
er not containment, strength...to keep that box and subwoofer stable

Bronze Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 20
I have the 15" Audiobahn Immortal. I heard a lot of s**t about audiobahn, but i wanted to try it myself coz here in italy we aint got nothin like dat. and if u buy it here it costs you more than $1200. Would u use screw or just glue?

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1202
use both....use a very liberal amount of glue to seal the box, and before it is dry, use drywall screws (1.75") to keep it together

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 196
Liquid nails works well too.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1204
yeah i use that as my adhesive most the time

but ALWAYS put your box together with glue and screws, never just one

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 434
elmers wood glue, drywall screws, and always
pre-drill for the screws. 3/4 mdf will be fine.
remember what i told you about keeping the sub under the window line. if it is above you will be bumped up to a higher class. and only use two of the aeros, i was thinking you had two subs when i e-mailed you.
remember also to tune to 60hz, sub up, ports back, under the window line. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
oh ya, bacon is right on, 1 3/4" screws will work perfect:-)

Bronze Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 23
Is it a big problem if the coil is only 2 inches far wrong the bottom?Coz the eclipse trunk isnt very deep, about 18 inches.

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 105
I used 3/4 MDF and 1 1/2" MDF for the face.I also used liquid nails on my box as well as screws every 5" or so.Inside the box at every joint I also used silicone to really make it air tight and then I used "L" shaped metal braces along the joints inside the box. This was for a 15" x.x.x. Maybe I overdid,either way the box is so fuck3n sturdy,doesn't flex at all.If you don't have room to face the sub up, try facing it to the rear...?:-)

Bronze Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 25
I could try that too, and ports up? Do u guys know a good software or formulas to determine the dimension of the box i should use? For SPL use anyway not for normal listening. Or does only the tuning frequency change and not the volume?

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
sub up, ports back, no liquid nails, elmers wood glue, and sounds like the ports will have to be on both sides of the sub because of the magnet.
the box has to be low anyways so i'm sure you'll have plenty of width.
remember what i told you bro.
and oh ya, this is really really really important, i dont know about over there but from what i know quad coil subs arent allowed in db drag.:-(
you may need to check that out before goin and spending all this effort on it if you cant even use it.

to answer you question from last week, yes, i am world champion in USACI, superstock and new world record holder and a few state records as well.

Bronze Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 26
that would suck, i better check it out soon...coz my friend from here won the last DB Drag Street B i think competition in the states so i think the rules are the same. But nothin actually really say somethin about it in the 2005 regulament. i gotta call someone to find it out.Do u know a good software to calculate the volume of the box i should use?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us