Plexiglass box

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 129
Upload

what do you think about that box? its a bandpass right?

my step dads doesnt own but he basically runs a plexiglass bussiness and he offered to make me a box for free. should I go with that box plan? since he needs speakers to base the measurments on Im gonna buy some cheap 15" sony Xplods for like 100 each. Good? If the speakers aint all that then what else could i buy good speaks for wit only 200 bucks? should i go for it?

Bronze Member
Username: Audio_fanatic

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 18
Do not go with tha xplods, a much better subwoofer you could get with your budget is an adire shiva.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
I can get 2 shivas? for 200 bucks? you sure bout that?

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 76
no that is a ported box..
and i hope your stepdad knows the box is gonna be built with something thicker than 1/4 inch plexiglass glasswolf said somewhere here earlier you need 3/4" to 1" lexan and for 2 15's u would need alot of plexiglass and at that thickness would cost ALOT of money so u might wanna double check hes still willing to build it but if so id go for it..

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
dont forget i would not only like opinions on the speakers but also the box also would be more important.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
how is it ported if the top of the speakers is sealed off?

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 77
no that is a ported box..
and i hope your stepdad knows the box is gonna be built with something thicker than 1/4 inch plexiglass glasswolf said somewhere here earlier you need 3/4" to 1" lexan and for 2 15's u would need alot of plexiglass and at that thickness would cost ALOT of money so u might wanna double check hes still willing to build it but if so id go for it.. also both ported and bandpass have to be very accuratly built or they will sound like shite so you better figure out what sub your going to use the box has to be built and tuned(port) based on the specs of the sub ..

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 78
wtf i cancelled the post :p uh thats not very good there is no airspace there

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
ok i got ya on the tuning but you confused me on whether your saying the box is ported or bandpass. and yes the tops are sealed off.

but what i really wanna know is if that is a good box if i tuned the port and i use the right cubic feet?

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
also is it even possible to tune a port thats down the middle or am i gonna have to move it to the side?

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 80
it doesnt matter where the port is as long is its the correct length and diameter or width to match ur desired tuning frequency
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/ports/index.html
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31
and if your designing a bandpass u cant just seal up the tops of the subs with about 1 inch^3 of airspace something will blow up. it is like a sealed box on one side and a ported on the other(someone correct me if this is wrong) so you need the correct amount of airspace above the sub as well as the ported section under it

Anonymous

I'm not sure even where to start.
Skip the bandpass idea. I wouldn't go bandpass at all. I'd go ported or sealed.
Sealed = better sound quality, hit lower and easier to build and get right.
Ported = louder about port tuning.
What type of vehicle do you have?
Is this going to be a standard box, or fitted into your wheel well, or something else?
Are you going to keep your spare tire?
How much power is your amp putting out?
I'd much rather have a single good woofer than the 2 Xplods. The shivas are nice but would probably run $250 for a pair. If you're stuck on getting 2 15's check out the Memphis PR (power reference) for that price.

Anonymous

I'm not sure even where to start.
Skip the bandpass idea. I wouldn't go bandpass at all. I'd go ported or sealed.
Sealed = better sound quality, hit lower and easier to build and get right.
Ported = louder about port tuning.
What type of vehicle do you have?
Is this going to be a standard box, or fitted into your wheel well, or something else?
Are you going to keep your spare tire?
How much power is your amp putting out?
I'd much rather have a single good woofer than the 2 Xplods. The shivas are nice but would probably run $250 for a pair. If you're stuck on getting 2 15's check out the Memphis PR (power reference) for that price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
im not stuck on anything,i could go for 2 12"
where could i find shivas locally or do i have to go online? I was also wonderin if a mustang trunk could fit 15"

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Do you think i can find some hidden treasure in a pawn shop maybe. or if i do find a good brand, will it most likely be beat up?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 767
go with 2 12" cerwin vega vmax with 300rms each, should pount and will be about 200 bucks for the subs...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us