Need help boosting IPOD signal to pioneer cd player

Username: Musicman3000

MO US

Post Number: 1
OK, i know you guys are sick of hearing people whine about hooking ipods to cars, so i'll make this quick. my pioneer cd player has an aux input and i ran a rca to stereo plug through my dash to the ipod. unfortunately, the aux input bypasses the volume control on the head unit so i can't get the ipod LOUD ENOUGH. i need some kind of preamp or something to boost the ipod signal. no battery powered devices either please. i want something permanent.

Thank you!

Bronze Member
Username: Bnh142

Post Number: 41
Try using a line driver.

Simon Treadaway
Unregistered guest
Search google for a bit of software called "eupod" it allows you to boost the volume on the ipod. Best of all it's free

Bronze Member
Username: Capulina6

Post Number: 43
how are your connections set up? do you have a line out signal from the dock connector on the ipod, or headphone jack, then do you have it connected to the line input adapter for the pioneer head unit?

MO US

Post Number: 2
rick,

yeah thats what i tried first, but the head unit doesn't let the volume control change the output level of auxiliary sources. i think i have it figured out though. i bought an off-brand ipod product that plugs into a 12v DC source and boosts the volume. then i'm going to run rca's into the auxiliary inputs on the cd player.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
what was that product you got? and whered you get it? the reason i ask is because i was planning on doing the exact same thing in my car. i had already planned out the exact same layout as you had, i was just waiting on getting a new head unit this month. i didnt know that problem existed with the volume though. if you could let me know about what you bought, i'd really appreciate it, thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
morgan, one more question,what i still dont get is when you connect the line out plug to the rca input adapter, your saying it bypasses the volume control right? is it bypassing the volume control on the head unit itself (as in you cannot raise or lower the volume at all on the head unit)or that you cant raise the volume on the ipod itself? because i know that when you connect the line out signal from the dock connection, you lose volume control on the ipod. you still have volume control if it is connected throught the headphone jack though.

MO US

Post Number: 3
the volume problem is on the head unit. the volume control on my pioneer cd player doesn't work for auxiliary sources. the head unit you are buying might, so i wouldn't go buy the belkin auto kit until you try hooking it all up.

i still have volume control on the iPOD when i use the headphone out, but the headphone jack signal is too weak for my head unit. i can hear it but it's quiet. i like it LOUD-haha. so, in order to boost the signal i got the following product.

i bought the belkin auto kit w/ dock connector on ebay for 25 bucks. here is the website:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2062& pcount=&Product_Id=149006

but i haven't proven that any of this works yet. the auto kit and dock are still in the mail. it works in theory though.

you mentioned that when you plug the iPOD into the dock that you lose volume control on the iPOD. that sucks because i was planning on the iPOD to control my volume level.

the belkin auto kit has a volume control on it, so that may have to be my volume control. i was planning on wiring that in behind the dash though. i'm building a retractable in-dash system below the cd player (i have an empty space in the dash) to house the dock. it should be cool if it all works out. it seems like a new problem comes up every day though.

here is my plan:

the dock will pop out on a drawer. the belkin auto kit is plugged into the back of the dock w/ the firewire cable. the belkin auto kit is going to be wired directly to the battery, so i still have a cig lighter in the dash that is vacant. then the auto kit has a 1/8 stereo out that will run to the auxiliary RCA intputs on the back of the head unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
sounds like a good plan, i hope it works out for you. but let me know how it turns out anyways, cuz like i said i had been planning the same setup that you got, that way i know what to expect when i get it. you can email me at capulina6@yahoo.com. also what kind of vehicle is this going into? i got a vw jetta thats got an extra space under the head unit also. if you ever have any pictures of the project email them to me if you can. id like to see how it looks and works. thanks alot

MO US

Post Number: 4
it should be done in the next couple weeks. i need to find someone w/ a jigsaw. the car is a 97 altima. i'll send you some pictures once i work out the bugs.

Unregistered guest
Morgan-
I'm planning to use the exact same process you just described to connect my ipod to my pioneer headunit, using the RCA cables and the belkin amp/charger. I was just wondering if it all worked out for you and if you got the volume control issues under control. Please let me know, by posting an answer so that I can avoid any complications you encountered. Thanks a lot. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Pioneerman
Unregistered guest
Hey man have you heard the news? Pioneer is going to be selling an adapter that will work on all pioneer units with ipods. Forget about having to get the aux inputs, you will be able to control the unit from your pioneer, files, folders the whole shabang! Model number CD-IB100

MO US

Post Number: 5
The Belkin charger/amp wasn't exactly what i needed. after talking to pioneer on the phone i need a part similar to what pioneerman just posted about. there is a part that leaves the control on the ipod and just makes the auxiliaries into inputs rather than outputs, and a new part, according to him, that controls the ipod on the head unit. i'll probably get the first part i mentioned since my ipod rests directly in front of the head unit and just use the ipod buttons.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
hey morgan what was that first part you were talking about? did you try using the cd-rb10? thats what i was gonna try. personally i wouldnt use that new interface they are coming out with because i want to control the ipod from the ipod itself not through the headunit. as for me i finally finished installing my ipod in the car. i figured out a way to hook it up to my panasonic head unit i already had. i just didnt see the point in buying a new $400 headunit (deh-p8mp). my installation came out pretty good ill post some pictures soon

MO US

Post Number: 6
rick,

yeah i got the cd-rb10 from ebay for 35 w/ shipping. i should be getting it soon and will have everything hooked up. i'll post some pics of my setup that i built if i can find a camera. i'm glad you got yours all figured out too. would like to see a picture.

Username: Wilty44

Studio City, CA United States

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I was having the same problem you were except that I am using the rca conector to attach both my sirius sportster and my ipod. I read what you had to say and I just went to the local Good Guys store and bought the cd-rb10 for 39.99. I hooked it up and it works perfectly. It took me about 5 minutes to install. The nice feature is that I can control the volume from the ipod, the sportster or the head unit.

If you have any questions let me know.

Wilty
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us