My subs and amp shut off?!..help!

ut oh
Unregistered guest
hello. im kinda new to this stuff but i have a problem.
i have a mtx dual 12 enclosure with 2 road thunder subs. and i have a dual mtx (8" maybe 10) sub set underneith my rear seats. they are powered by 2 alpine amps. i was listenin to some music off a cd.... it got a lil fuzzy. i ignored it for a min. then it became more noticable and then the power to my amps and subs shut off. but my speakers still work and so does the deck..etc. any ideas how to fix?!

Bronze Member
Username: Eric77

Post Number: 71
Check all your connections on the amp, at the battery and at the ground. YOur power wire or ground wire probably came loose.

ut oh
Unregistered guest
its a 1997 F-150 extended cab. the battary is exide 72 classic type 65-72. one alpine amp is mrv-t420 and the other is MRD-M301 , i have 2 kicker kx57 speakers, and a clarion deck. im running a radar detector and sirius satelite radio from cigarette outlet. thats everything about it. i get no power to the amps at all. someone help me out please!

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 379
do like eric said and check all your connections. from the bat. back including all fuses. i got a dollar to a donut that says your ground came loose, or it's a bad ground.

is the protect light on on the amp?

i guess it could be the rca jacks, but i'm still bettin on the ground

ut oh
Unregistered guest
i just checked connections. it all looked connected. i dont see any protect light on or any power signs on either amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
did u check the fuse on the battery wire. and on the front /back of the amp? you could have possibly blew one of those.

what/where is your ground wire attatched to.

make sure and check those fuses.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 741
sounds like your fuses or bad ground...as other have said...

ut oh
Unregistered guest
i checked all the fuzes, they all seem to be intact. any other ideas, or would my best bet be takin it to an audio store for them to take a look?

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
well at this point, If all my connections appeared to be OK and all my fuses were intact, I'd be going to see somebody smarter than I am.
but it's got to be one of the aforementioned things, especially if you have neither power or protect light,

how exactly do you have power to those amps? where is your ground connected?

ut oh
Unregistered guest
im not sure i had everything installed for me, i dont know a whole lot about wires and stuff

ut oh
Unregistered guest
i think its connected to the battary directly..if thats possible?

Username: Dubdw7kota

WILMINGTON, NC

Post Number: 6
yea its deffinately connected to ur battery... u have a wire connected to ur positive on ur battery and probably ran throu ur firewall somewhere to ur amp... ur ground runs from ur amp to a solid metal piece on ur vehicle... pop ur hood... u should have a fuse on the power wire right near ur battery... so check that as well... make sure all ur wires r in ur amp... ground is still on vehicle... and power is still hooked up... if ur amp is cuttin on... but no speaker... ur wire couldve come out from the speaker terminals...? just a thought

Pharoh
Unregistered guest
Yea it sounds like a ground problem. If not that probobly a fuse problem. If it sounded like that, fuzzy and then just shut off, and u now cannot get any power to BOTH** of your amps, its one or the other. Last thing but doubtful, if one of your speaker wires came loose and are touching eachother or metal, that could short circut the system and the Protect" light would come on, usually red(on either of your amps).

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
well if you had it installed. hopefully at the local istall shop, it would be their problem. Take it back to whomever installed it for you and have take a look at it. whatever it is, it is something that needs addressed and corrected. good luck, and if possible, be there while they are checking it out so you troubleshoot some of your problems down the road. It'll help you understand your system better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us