An amp inquiry.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 194
will a better made amp make a driver sound more precise and control the subs movement better? and if so how

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 214
well im sure it will but why and how

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7128
you asked for it...
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/amplifiers.html

if you still have specific questions after reading that, let me know.
I wrote it just for questions like yours :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7129
PS, refer to the portion on "damping factor" regarding driver control.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 222
i think i got it now, an amp that can take a lower impedence loads have a higher damping factor which means the amp will have better control of the subwoofers movements. thats a lot of reading, i need to pace myself. lol. so if i get a quality amp i need not worry too much of the damping factor. if my amp has a horrible damping factor(which it probably does)is there anything i need to worry about besides my music sounding too bassy? another q. does a low end amp not control my sub as much as a high end amp, and just relys on the suspension of the sub to bring it back? basically do low end amps just make the driver go and have little control over stopping it and then making it go again?. if that makes any sense? sorry i just woke up and then had to read.lol::-)

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 223
ok. now i have a better idea, i just read more on it at http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/ampspecs.html
thanks glass for educating me. this is a start for curing my stupidity.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7151
no problem.
a poor quality amp will have a weaker power supply for one thing, which means less dynamic head room and less ability to respond to peak demands that occur with the nature of musical reproduction.
the damping factor is a function of the amp's design and build quality, but if you have a noticeably poor damping factor, yeah the amp will make the sub sound "loose" or poorly controlled.
any decent amp (read kicker, mtx range or better) shouldn't be any sort of concern for damping though. if the amp is class D it's designed strictly for subs anyway so damping will e a key factor when it's made, and again not a concern.
the power supply is really one of the largest factors of a good amplifier.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 236
thanks glass, how long did it take you to write those essays. i guess thats what they are. now i know a little more than i did. oh well im still pretty new to all of this stuff. are you going to CES this year?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7155
I wrote most of them over the course of about a week putting together faqs for another forum.
not going to CES this year. just don't have the time really.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 242
hey glass, i feel horrible asking you a q. like this one because i know you hate to answer them, but what are your thoughts on hifonics brutus line of amps. i wish i could listen to one before i get one but since i live in a little town in new mexico i dont have access to a lot of mobile car audio. the only things shops sell around here are rockford and memphis. i wont buy rockford because the people at that shop are pr!cks. i cant afford memphis(or rockford) and i dont have the patience to save money, and i dont make much. so could you tell me if they are decent amps? ive heard both ways...so i decided to ask the godfather of ecoustics car audio forum

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7169
personally I'm not a big fan of hifonics. some people have good luck with them though and they're cheap. an alternative would be JBL or Cadence.
edesignaudio.com has some nice amps now too (eD)
I see Orions (new ones) going pretty cheap if ya use ebay, too..
those are some options to consider.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 250
i found the amp i going to get as soon as i pay off some of my card

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5741625101 %26

even though it is refurbed. and i dont like refurbed that much i have faith in the orion techs
and the company will garantee replacement if doa. so here pretty soon i hope
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us