Quick newbie amp q...

Username: Shawn_s

Post Number: 1
I read on a previous thread that the RMS rating of a mono amp applies to ALL the subwoofers hooked up to it?

Like if I had a Kicker SX1250.1, it's 1250 RMS rating would be applied to each of the L7's I had attached, correct?

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 215
no. if i get the q. right 1250 will be split between the two subs so 625 to each woofer. if thats what you are asking

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7126
the total amplifier output at a given load will be divided between the speakers connected.
It's divided evenly if all the speakers are the same.
Remember though, amplifier output varies usually based on the load, so the amp will in most cases put out more power at say, 1 ohm than it will at 2 ohms, and more at 2 ohms than at 3.
This is the case with the Kicker amp.
it puts out 1250 watts total at 1 ohm.
with a pair of 2 ohm subs, that means ~625 watts per sub.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7127
by the way if you only had one 2 ohm sub on the same amp, the amp would apply half the total power because it would see twice the load, so the single sub would still get about 625 watts by itself.
this is why power and load are relative to each other.

Post Number: 2
Awesome, I'm starting to get it.

I have another question, (I'm definetly going to rank myself with this), two 12" woofers or one 15"? I consisently reading that the one 15" moves air and produces a nicer, deeper sound. Any opinions?

Post Number: 3
Awesome, I'm starting to get it.

I have another question, (I'm definetly going to rank myself with this), two 12" woofers or one 15"? I'm consisently reading that the one 15" moves air and produces a nicer, deeper sound. Any opinions?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 144
The L7 is a dvc sub. Remember this when matching impedance.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7148
depends on which subs you're comparing.
if you want an idea for which will be louder, compare both the combined surface area of the subs, and their combined excursion.
that's going to tell you about how much air they'll displace, and as a result, their peak output.
personally I'd take two 12" over a single 15" all else being equal.

Post Number: 4
Yea I have most of the wiring/ohm thing down. (Or know the charts to figure it out)

So by your guys' calculations, a Kicker SX1250.1 or KX1200.1 would be the perfect match for two S12L5's, correct?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7166
that'd give each sub 600 watts or more, yes.
you'd want two of the dual 4 ohm coil models to get the 1 ohm load for those amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us