[glasswolf] sub too small for box :-/

Bronze Member
Username: Datboyp

Odessa, TX USA

Post Number: 21
so, i was building my first box; built it all today, and turns out the magnet on my 10" Alpine Type-R touches the bottom of the box at an angle. (box is shaped like this: |\ ).It touches the bottom, but just BARELY. Did I f*ck up on my box and have to start over, or is their any way to fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 687
if it just barley touchs you could get a sharpie (since its inside the box it wont really matter) and make some markings on the MDF wheres its hitting, sand it down just enough so it doesnt touch, i doubt it'll hurt the strength of the box if youjust sand it slightly and also you'll still get good cooling because your box is angled, assuming your sub is hitting at the smallest part....it has to be physically speakeing...

Bronze Member

Odessa, TX USA

Post Number: 23
so as long as it is NOT touching, even if thats by a millimeter or two, that'll be fine? It's 3/4" MDF, so I could prolly sand that area down to about 1/2". Would that work?

Also, does the magnet not move while the speakers pounds? Sory if this is stupid, I just don't know :-P

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6986
well ideally you want space between the magnet and the back of the box, but you should be ok. give it a try and see how it sounds to you.

Bronze Member

Odessa, TX USA

Post Number: 24
mk, just making sure nothing's gonna break; so i SHOULD try sanding it somewhat to allow for a little bit of room?

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 345
Or you could invert the sub. Just be sure to invert the wiring at the same time. You may want to add some poly also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
or you could add another front face to your box. In other words double the thickness of your MDF, if you haven't got it carpeted yet. that would give you approx. 3/4 behind the magnet then you'd be of also.

Bronze Member

Odessa, TX USA

Post Number: 25
wouldn't that be ugly though, adding more MDF? and I don't have room to invert the sub, it fits behind the front seat of a standard cab truck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
if you haven't got the box carpeted yet, then the answer would be NO. Just add the other front layer and carpet the box. Nobody is going to see it that way. And even at that, unless you have bucket seats in your truck nobody is going to see much of the box anyway.

I have seen round window mouldings used, if you can find one that fits your subs correctly. mount it on the front of your box and set you sub in it.
Darned near anything to gain a little space.
But in all honesty, another front face is about the easiest way to do it.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 692
i think i remember seeing at crutchfield.com or sounddomain.com an adapater that added like 1/2" or something like that that made the sub stick out that much, i know i've seen em somewhere...

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
Thanks Jeff, I know I've seen them and thats what it put me in the mind of was a round indow casing.
but at least somebody else on here knows what I'm talking about.

Bronze Member

Odessa, TX USA

Post Number: 26
if you find them, feel free to post the link. If not, I'll prolly just build my own
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us