Glass - Alternator

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 371
Well so much for that old thing heh... My alternator is RIP right now so I spoke to "Mr. Alternator" from - Mr. Alternator. I plan on purchasing a 150 Amp HO Alternator from them today so I asked if id need a lower gauge for the "Big 3" cables. He stated to me that my car is stock 8 gauge and that is sufficient for 150 Amps; is this so? I don't want my cables to burn up on me will the 8 gauge be alright?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6998
he's wrong.
4ga is sufficient for 150A. in fact 4ga is rated for a peak of about 125-150A.

Silver Member

Post Number: 372
Where would I go about getting the cable for it then? - Autozone? It's not to hard to replace is it (I have not yet examined it)? How much ballpark am I looking at for 4 gauge cable to do it all?

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
*Just ordered the 150A HO Alt.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 938
You can always make your own 4gauge cable or pay them to make it for you. It costs around $25 pre-made.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7014
www.knukonceptz.com
order 4ga there. get the connectors you need (ring terminals etc) and make your own cables.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 691
you know what really pushes my buttons, stripping 4+ ga cable, its such a pain its all thick and whatnot and then theres always that one little strand that just somehow ends up stabbing you in the finger....

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
Use a lighter and melt the casing a bit and pull it off, that is what I do X_X! Thanks for the advice guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us