Question about modding a head unit

tonyz
Unregistered guest
i own an acura rsx s-type, which has a bose head unit. the unit includes a 6 disc changer, and a cassette deck. i'd like to connect an aux input to the unit, but unfortunately it doesn't have any kind of support for doing this. does anyone know if a mod like this would work:

the hack would require opening up the head unit. i never use the tape deck, so i don't mind if i lose its functionality. if there are audio wires that go from the tape deck into some kind of audio switchbox that controls whether CD, tape, or radio is playing, i could cut the wires from the cassette deck. then, i could splice in wires from an aux device, and use the tape button on the head unit to access its input. obviously, this wouldn't work if the audio switching is done on a computer board or something. but if the head unit is put together something like a home rack stereo, this might be do-able.

any thoughts?

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7153
just use an adapter fro PAC www.pacaudio.com to adapt the bose amplified system for aux inputs.

tonyz
Unregistered guest
hmmm, that website doesn't show anything. anywhere else offer that adapter? how exactly does it work?

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 153
Use a RF modulator and play your aux through the radio. Same thing that satelite radio uses.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7170
http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/Home.htm

they carry pac products.
sorry about the other site.. it worked last time I looked.
the RF modulator is an option as well

tonyz
Unregistered guest
i'm using an RF modulator now (satellite radio is what i'm hooking up, actually)... it's not bad, but i get some static bleed. the radio spectrum is full where i live, so it's tough. plus, the volume is a little low.

anyway, i emailed PAC and they told me they don't make an adapter for my car :-( guess i'm stuck w/ the modulator or maybe i'll just open up the HU and try and figure out how it works.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us