Stuck in protection mode...someone break this down step by step...please.

Unregistered guest
I have a lanzar vibe 430 amp...its a 4x100rms >>or<<2x200 rms. I currently have only one sub hooked up (pioneer svc). i installed this myself, bought a monster amp kit, the one rated at 1400 watts from walmart. anyways..on to the story.

I hook this all up, turn it on, and tada...it bumps. i drive down the street. and tada...it stops. i get home and look at it, its in protection mode. i check the power connections, they all seem secure, i check the ground...its so-so, but the best one i could find..a screw in my trunk that is attached to the body..so it seems like it would be sufficient...anyways...what could it be? i have unhooked the pre-amp rcas, i have unhooked the speaker, still shows up in protection mode. i have reseated the ground, still protection mode. i dont really know what else to do. why would it just stop like that after a couple of minutes, and stay in pm? anyways, any help will work. thanks...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7007
you either have a bad ground or bad wiring job, or you have the amp running at too low of a load, probably bridged.

why are you using a 4 channel amp for one speaker?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 944
What kind of amp names their product after a cheap car Vibe?
Anyhow, when the amp goes into protect mode, is it heating up? Have you set the gain properly? Sometimes if that's set too high, it can cause the amp to fail. If the amp is in protect mode with no rca cable connected, then check to make sure the speaker wires aren't shorting out. If anyone of the strands are touching each other/car chassis, it will cause the protection to kick in.
You mentioned the ground wire is so-so. That is not good enough when it comes to car audio. You will need a solid ground before anything else.
If after everything else, the protection light stays on, there's a chance that you could've blown the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 297
Yes, I bet you somehow bridged the amp and stuck all of them into the box terminals! Check that. You should only be using 2 channels, either in stereo or bridged. Is the sub 2ohm or 4ohms? If 4, bridge 2 channels, not 4. If 2ohms, you'll be able to use only 1 channel, can't be bridged.

Unregistered guest
i will redo the ground, maybe run it to the battery. i will check the gain...i think its turned up high...didnt know that would cause it to fail. i rechecked the power everywhere..it seems solid. as for the load...i dont think it matters, cuz i unhook the sub from the amp, turn it on, and it still goes to protect mode.

someone mentioned the amp could be bad...doesnt it usually blow fuses and stuff before it burns up?

oh..and it never does get hot..it was on for a few minutes, then turned off...still cold to the touch. but i will check these things and be back online tonight to give you guys and update. thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 300
maybe run the ground to the battery? not a good idea. does the amp turn on at all now?

Unregistered guest
havent run the ground yet..the system DOES turn on, you can hear it pop on..but it immediatly turns into protect mode.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 949
I'd double check the speaker wires. The doesn't have to blow fuses to become bad. I had an amp that blew cause the gain was set too high. That one went into protect mode too. If wiht no rca input and the speaker wires are good, you just might have a blown amp. Incorrect use of the gain can and will cause the amp to blow.
BTW, I only blew the amp cause I was trying to see what the hightest gain setting it could handle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us