New system-any advice appreciated

tarheel6869
Unregistered guest
I got a new truck recently and am planning on putting a new system in it, so I have a couple of questions. I'm planning on spending around 700 dollars or so, but have a couple hundred dollars wiggle room. I for sure want to replace the front speakers in my doors(because they rattle alot and are fuzzy) and my head unit( I plan on getting an alpine so I can add the KCA-420i ipod adapter). I want a system that is good but it doesn't have to be like amazing competition quality or anything. How much should I look at spending for each component and what kind? Is there anything I for sure need to get? Also, I'm 16 and haven't ever installed anything like this, is it worth my money to have a professional do it so I know its right or is it easy enough that I could figure it out? If I should get a professional install, how much should it costs if I have a 02 chevy silverado and does anyone know any good places around Houston where I can know that I'm getting a quality install at a decent price?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 955
For the front speakers, look to spend anywhere from $150 - $250 for decent quality. You will never great sounds from a HU, however for starters, it'll pass.
If you want to install the system yourself, you'll need to buy the wiring harness for your car. Without it, you'll have to guess which wire is which. Some dealers will include free installation with mid - high end HUs. I think Best Buy is one of them. Since this is your first install, it might be a good idea to let a prof do it. If you can ask them that you want to watch. Some will, but lot of them won't since that's their bread maker. Same thing goes for the speakers. If you have any skills, you can try it yourself. It's not rocket science. Just takes time and manual labour.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us