QUICK SIMPLE sub tuning question

Bronze Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 60
please pay close attention-- from what i've been told, tuning a box is all in the port,yeah? and dimensions dont matter just as long as internal volume remaines the same then you could set the tune by the size of port yeah.? SO IN A 4cu BOX WITH A PORT SIZE OF 15.5"L x 3"W HOW LONG WOULD THE VENT HAVE TO BE TO ACHIEVE 25-27Hz ? and does incresing/decresing vent increse/decrease the tune Hz ? wich is wich? thanks a lot

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 410
29 1/2 inches is your port length for 27hz

and all measurements play a part in the output and the tuned frequency of a box.

say you only had 30 sqaure inches of port area rather than your 46.5(15.5 by 3), then the length would only need to a little over 18" in order to tune at 27hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 68
i thought that a woofer's specs (thiele small) ALSO played a part in resonant frequencies. eg. two different woofers would give two different resonant frequencies.

the easy way to tune a box is to just buy an adjustable port and tune it by ear or with a dB meter.

smaller diameter ports with longer tube lengths tend to make more noise if i remember right for whatever that's worth.

flared ports are supposed to be the quietest.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 690
i think that noise you hear is "port noise"

Bronze Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 61
thanks a lot zac d
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums