Distortion

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 210
My friend's stereo's finally installed. The 4 channel kicker amp is dedicated to the subs. Here's the thing:
It sounds really good when only 1 sub is running. As soon as we turn up the other sub they both start to get distorted. By the way, either sub sounds great if played alone. I was thinking it's just the old deck that's causing the problem. It's an old 2V alpine cassette deck. Any thoughts? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 377
one of your subs is out of phase.
just switch the wires on one of the subs and this will cure the problem.
however you should go from the amp to the sub to find which one it is thats out of phase(wires are backwards).

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 211
So that means that the wires are backwards inside the box? I checked and the wires coming from the amp are fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
prolly, take 'em out and check, or just bump them with a 9volt batt, look at the side the bat, it has a positve side, when that sde is on the positive side of the woofer it moves up, if its backwards it moves down. simple

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6739
I concur.
sounds like a phase issue for sure.
you could just swap pos and neg on one sub at the box.
it doesn't really matter if its wired backward inside or outside of the box as long as you get both subs wired with the same polarity in the end.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 216
You guys were right on the money! I called my friend and asked to check and they were switched. Now sounds a lot better.
Now, there're also holes in the foam surronds of the woofers. what should I seal them with?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 455
clear nail polish

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
silicone, NOT fingernail polish.
and before anyone comes back and says different, i am a certified reconer for turbosound speaker and mtx to name a few, i've been building and fixing speakers for more than a decade.
you must use a glue that is fexible, how flexible is clear nail polish?
also, he said holes, not tear, so how do you propose bridging a gap in a surround with nail polish? :-)

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 228
Well, it is a tear that created a hole. Is there a difference?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 656
wouldn't the silicone caulk be bad for the subs surround? When it cures it will eat away at the surroud....thats what i've always thought when you seal the inside of a box you cant put the sub in fgor like 24 hours...

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 456
if those subs have rubber surrounds use some clear silicone caulk. I kinda mis read hole for being a tear. my bad.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6814
I've used acrylic to seal small tears in foam without trouble and it's held fine for over a decade now, but yes if the surround is rubber, the silicone would probably hold up fine.

really though if you have several tears, or they're fairly large, consider just re-surrounding the sub(s) instead.
it's not very expensive to do, and well worth the added effort.
last time I had some redone for me I think I paid $25 per speaker to have new surrounds put on. (this was for some home speakers and the foam had dry rotted from florida humidity before I bought them)

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 229
Would acrylic work on foam or rubber? I'm not too sure as to what it actually is.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6844
clear acrylic nail polish.

Bronze Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 22
glass your my idol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums