Whats gonna power these

Username: 88gtanotchback

Post Number: 1
ive been asking a bunch of ppl before i go out and buy amp(s) so i dont make a mistake like a already did.
i bought two 12 inch audiobahn subs(forst mistake so everyone says). the subs specs are:
ALUM12Q
1000RMS to each sub
dual high-temp 6 ohm voice coils

i want an amp thats cheap(er) but will still pound these subs.
so far the recomendations have been
2 JL 1000/1
2 JBL 1200
1 crossfire 2000VR
1 Modified MTX 1501d Competition Amplifier 2000+ Watts
1 rockford 3000tb or something.
what im looking for is my best option with the best power for the money.
seems like theres a lot of know how on this forum.
thx alot in advance
scott

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 69
hope you have a high current alternator!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6847
JBL bp1200.1
Orion 1200D
Kicker kx1200.1

there are a few more options for ya

Post Number: 2
i actually dont have a high current alternator....will this interfere alot? i wanna do this right but on a budget. thx for the help guys.
also im really new to stereos but are you sure about those amps glasswolf? you seem to know your stuff so i hope your right cause this http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5739835810% 26%26
option looks really good and cheap.....but it seems a lil small for 2 12's each running 1000RMS...
this looks really good to for the price
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48598%26item%3D5739517812% 26
i just wanna make sur eim running enough power.
thx

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6858
you're not going to run two 1000 watt subs with full power on a stock electrical system in a car.
not gonna happen.
if you want that kind of power, it costs money. mainly in a new alternator, heavy power cable, and some pretty big amplifiers
the JBL BP1200.1 delivers 1200 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms or at 1 ohm. its a terrific amp and probably the cheapest one you'll find worth considering with that much power.
at full output the JBL draws ~115A

the Kicker 1200.1 is a great amplifier, and puts out 1200 watts (actually closer to 1400 in reality) at 1 ohm or over 600 watts @ 2 ohms.

the kicker is probably the better of the two as far as features go, offering a subsonic filter if you want to use a ported box, but both are hefty, well made amps.

Post Number: 4
so really the only way to run these subs the way there ment to be ran is to buy a new alternator. so pretty much i bought to big of subs for an entry level system....that sucks. well thx alot for all your help guys. ill look into both amp options. i know its gonna souind dumb buty are these subs still gonna thump being underpowered?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6897
try this..
get the amps you want for the subs.
see if you have issues with lights dimming etc.
if not, then you're fine.
if you do, then worry about a larger alternator at that point, or keep the volume down so the lights don't dim.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us