What would be your dream system?

Username: 96_caprice_22

Post Number: 6
If you could have any system, for about $10,000 what would you pick? Head Unit, 2 sets of components, amps for each component set, 2 or 3 12" subs, an amp for each sub, and crossover the whole nine. Any brands you wanted.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 517
10,000 wont be enough...the front compants alone are 7,500....mmm rainbow audio..drools

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6411
actually ten grand would just cover the Rainbow CS630.30 front stage.. without shipping included.

Ok ten grand, labor not included I hope:

Alpine CDA-7990 $3000
Audiocontrol EQT (2) $330 each
Orion 300PSW preamp $350
Orion 200CRX crossover module $350
Orion 400BDG bridging module $350
DynAudio System 360 $1200
Orion 2250SX for front stage $1249
(2) RE triple X 12" subs in AP enclosure $369 each
(2) Orion 2250SX amps for the RE subs $1249 each
Orion MBR70 $500
270A alternator $500
0ga power distribution $200+/-
1 red top $150
2 yellow tops $180 each
spray-in sound deadener lined cabin... $189 per two gallons

oh wait.. that's my Charger.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6412
I didn't factor in the install labor, building the AP enclosure, the fiberglass work, customizing the Dyn crossovers, etc. that was just hardware cost.

Bronze Member
Username: Help_2

MN

Post Number: 17
Denon DCT-Z1
Focal Utopia 165w3
(2) Image Dynamics IDMax 12" subs in AP enclosure
(2) Arc Audio KAR 900.1D amps for the subs
(1) Arc Audio KAR 400.2 for the comps
250 Amp alternator
1/0 Ga power
2 Optima yellow tops
Tons of eDead v1 SE
Tons of eDead v3

puts me way under 10k

Bronze Member
Username: Slim

St.pete, Florida

Post Number: 86
damn glass i wish i had the money for that system or something similar. i would smile everytime i pass by a car with about four speakers on each door for not knowing what they have to do for loud and qaulity sound

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2737
Eclipse 8454 head unit
Audiocontrol DQX processor/EQ with DDC control unit
Dynaudio System 240 Esotar run active from processor
2 10" Image Dynamics ID Max subwoofers AP in rear package tray
2 US amps USA-600X amplifiers for mid and tweets
2 US amps USA-2000X amps for subs

A little different, but a nice change for me, I'd like to try a digital processor for once.

Bronze Member
Username: 96_caprice_22

Post Number: 11
Any other systems for around 10,000?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6449
Help, Jon, very nice selections. I liked the looks of both of them.

coola, I'll let ya in on a little secret. buying things used or finding good deals from places like eBay helps a lot on the cost factor, as does doing all the work yourself.
some examples, I got the 2250SX amps for about $250 each, the Dyn system new for about $600, the EQTs I got as a pair for about $130, the Orion preamp, and other 2 modules all together I got for maybe $120 total, the MBR70 I got for about $50.
Things like that really cut down on spending a fortune on a good system. Some things like the Alpine and RE subs I bought new.. but the Alpine can be found for close to $1500 new if you shop online, so even then it's half the MSRP. RE I was happy to buy from at $369 per sub, because at least that way I know the subs are fully backed if I ever have a problem.

for what it's worth.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2740
Yeah, if this were real life (me actually buying the system), I'd debate over whether I really wanted a digital processor or not. My IDEAL system would be well over 10K retail and would look like this:
Alpine CDA-7900 head unit-$3000 retail
Alpine PXA-H900 processor-$4000 retail
Rainbow CS 360.30 active 3 way 6.5" components-Actives are approximately $9,000 bucks
Two Image Dynamics 10" ID Max subwoofers, again AP in package tray-around $400 each retail.
Zapco amps matched to the system.(too lazy to look them up :-))

One word, EXPENSIVE.

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 96
I dont know anything about those rainbow thingies, but for 9000 dollars they'd better be preforming some kind of sexua1 act on me while I drive.

Bronze Member
Username: Avalanche

Post Number: 71
Eclipse CD8454 430.00
DynAudio System 360 1000.00 x2
Front and Rear stage
US Amps 600TU x2 900.00 both
US Amps 2000 x2 for subs 2000.00 both
2 Treo SSX subs. 400.00 x2
USD Audio SW-30b 30 band mono Equalizer 1400.00
2 boxes of Dynamat Xtreme. 230.00
3 optima batteries yellow tops. 110.00 each.
450 Amps Alternator. 500.00
Fiber Glass 300.00
MDF 1 inch. x3 sheets 130.00
power wire 0 Gauge and connectors 200.00
RCA 100.00
14 gauge speaker wire 50.00
distribution blocks and connectors 150.00
1 20 Farah Cap 400.00
I know I'm forgetting somethings

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6512
the eclipse cd8454 retails for $600
the Dyn system 360 retails for over $1200 each
the USD EQs you'l need one per audio channel
you may want to reconsider using a full 3 way system for rear fill. you'd be better off using an 8" midrange or midbass driver, notch-filtered.
you'll need a battery isolator
just a few minor suggestions there

Bronze Member
Username: Trancein305

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 38
Rainbow audio Is A rip OFF CS 360.30 Reference active do these speakers fly i mean 9,000 $ dollars for 3eay speakers.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2744
"I dont know anything about those rainbow thingies, but for 9000 dollars they'd better be preforming some kind of sexua1 act on me while I drive."
That's pretty much why I don't have any. When you buy the References, though, they have a unlimited lifetime warranty, use THE best materials in a speaker system, and are exceptionally built. SQ is top notch as well. You also get a lifetime membership card for Rainbow events, etc. But anyway. The question "are they worth it" is really hard to answer.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6517
"rip off" is a subjective opinion.

a lot of people think my Martin Logans are a rip off at $6500 for one pair of towers for the home, and about $12,000 for the amplifier to drive them, but I think they're worth every penny.

It's all personal taste.
The rainbow reference component crossovers use kimber kable for wiring, and their cables are notoriously expensive to begin with. Their interconnects and speaker wire can cost over $1,200 per meter.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2748
"Rainbow audio Is A rip OFF CS 360.30 Reference active do these speakers fly i mean 9,000 $ dollars for 3eay speakers."

You have to see their build quality and overall perfection in engineering to understand why they are so expensive. Their build quality and material quality extends far beyond what mass produced speaker systems such as MB Quarts, Infinities, JL XR and ZRs, Boston, and many other speakers can offer.
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/introduction.php?lan=3&pro=1
Take a look at them, it's beautiful work. If you're an extremist, you'll debate whether it's worth it, if you aren't, then you'll develop your opinion quickly.

Bronze Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 75
You know there expensive when u dont see any pricing.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2749
The Platinums are a more friendly on the wallet, and are EXTREMELY good component speakers, not a huge step down from the references in sound quality. They'll come to you for around $2,000, the actives are around $1800. Still not cheap, but compared to $10,000 they are.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Rainbows are a little rediculous though.
I heard a set of the references, and I felt
like I could do a lot better buying
speakers for a set, piece by piece.
theyve got some killer crossovers though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2755
It's all subjective. Rainbows are more difficult to set up right as well, their off axis response isn't quite as good as other sets, so you have to get the angling just right to hit the sweet spot. But once you do..:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Yeah...but same goes for just about any set.
just not willing to give up a years
worth of house payments for some speakers...
If I got a set for free...Id sell em :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2765
hehe, see I touched on that above, you either contemplate about them, or form a very quick opinion :-).

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 40
((( Glasswolf )))The only subjective thig is the fact that these speakers are not worth it. I can buy a top notch full Audio system, with DVD player, GPS,and a body kit to my CAR! and stil have maybe 4,000 dollars left to vacation in the Bahamas or even hook up my girlfriends car. Now tell me what is so subjective about that. Bottom line, its a RIP OFF!!! Point blank. I dont even think famous hip hop RAPPERS ARE willing to pay such an exorbident price for those 3 WAY SPeakers from Rainbow audio. definitely not a Prudent Choice. Wise UP !

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 41
((( Glasswolf )))The only subjective thing is the fact that those rainbow speakers are not worth it. I can buy a top notch full Audio system, with DVD player, GPS,and a body kit to my CAR! and stil have maybe 4,000 dollars left to vacation in the Bahamas or even hook up my girlfriends car. Now tell me what is so subjective about that. Bottom line, its a RIP OFF!!! Point blank. I dont even think famous hip hop RAPPERS ARE willing to pay such an exorbident price for those 3 WAY SPeakers from Rainbow audio. definitely not a Prudent Choice. Wise UP !

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 328
you guys can have your rainbows, my boston por series 6.5 3x's are just fine :-), and only $1500
cars never sound that good anyways, imean come you guys, your listening to a stereo mix and your sitting off center, unless you have a bench seat and your sitting in the middle:-)
btw, i am a purist, analog, tube pre amp, vinyl, two channel stereo mix recordings, all that kind of fun stuff, type of guy. but nothing comes as close to being there as well, being there. live music is the only thing that really gives you that depth that is so strived upon in recordings and playback. just my thoughts at 4 in the mornin, what am i doin up anyways so late besides rambling on...........:-) night all

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6535
Carlos,
If you can afford them, price isn't a concern.
If you can't afford them, it's not really worth arguing about anyway, now is it?

I'm guessing you couldn't afford them anyway so that's about the end of this discussion.
I'm perfectly happy with my system the way it is, and I see no point in getting "ripped off" buying plastic to bolt onto a car, calling it a "body kit" and thinking it makes your car any faster or cooler. If you want to do something to make the car perform better, upgrade the suspension, or at FI to the engine. Otherwise, all you're doing is looking goofy for others to laugh at.. at your own expense.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 551
Glasswolf = Brillance

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2768
"cars never sound that good anyways, imean come you guys, your listening to a stereo mix and your sitting off center, unless you have a bench seat and your sitting in the middle:-)"
One word: McLaren :-)

taylor17
Unregistered guest
I know you probubly said this allready, but what makes them so expencive. Is it the materials or the labor put in to the making. Thank's ps 9000 MAN!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2769
You're paying for both. Everything is fully done by hand, and you can not get better materials to make a speaker with. That link above will show you the work that goes into them, it's crazy. Of course, the average joe that looks at the price tag will say it's a ripoff, but you have to remember that they are guaranteed for a LIFETIME, and they're not your normal speakers, they are among the best of the best of the best. For those that fool around with car stereo a lot, it's actually worth considering. If I were to add up the amount of money I've spent on component systems over the years, it would be quite a few thousand in itself, maybe even close to $9,000 bucks. As far as this statement:
"I dont even think famous hip hop RAPPERS ARE willing to pay such an exorbident price for those 3 WAY SPeakers from Rainbow audio"
Maybe because most famous hip hop rappers don't have class. Have you listened to the rap that's coming out nowadays, because it's pretty self explanatory. Listen to you, DVD, GPS, and a Body kit? Why don't you just go buy some fiberglass resin, a road map, and an etch a sketch? Because DVD, GPS and body kits are such a rip off, now aren't they? That's the subjective part you fail to realize. If you bought a true top notch audio system, plan to spend nearly $20,000, you'll need every penny of it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us