HELP! My amp destroys my left 6x9 capacitor!

Username: Zneon

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 10
OK guys this is something really strange, first i had a pair of polk 6x9, and after some weeks the left 6x9 mid and tweeter stopped working, after checking it i relised that it was actually the capacitor, so i replaced it and it worked again. By then I had already bought a pair of soundstream 6x9s and some days later the same thing happened again, to the same speaker. It only happens with the left rear chanel, and I don't use bass boost, i even set the head unit crossover to 80hz highpass (24db/oct). help please guys do i need to buy a new amp?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 843
Hey Gustavo, get a higher voltage capacitor for your mid/tweeters.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2733
What kind of amp are you using?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2734
It kinda sounds more like a short at the speaker wires, honestly. It doesn't hurt a speaker to be shorted because all that happens is it becomes a magnetic brake, basically. A capacitor will overheat and be destroyed very quickly with a short circuit, however. Your amp may have protection so that it doesn't hurt the amp as well. It's odd for a capacitor to go out before the voice coil or other problems, so I kinda doubt you're overpowering it.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 11
actually im sending 75 rms to it, and it is rated 200rms, so I don't think power is the problem, however I set the gains as high as possible without distortion with the car engine off(12.5v) and sometimes I turn the volume to the highest but with the car on(14.4), do you think 2 more volts could damage the speaker?
it is a 75x4rms@14.4V class a/b hollywood soundlabs amp. Oh i forgot, I took off the speaker and realised that the problem wasn't the capacitor, but the mid, yeah but again the same channel.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 854
Whoa Outphase, you're using the gain control incorrectly. It's suppose to match your HU's output rca voltage. You cannot use it as a way of volume control.
This is why you're blowing the speaker. With the engine on, you'll be supplying close to 14v to the amp. This will increase the power and possibly distortion.
Most speakers blow cause of distortion/clipping not pure power.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 12
when i say i set the gains i say doing it correctly, i tought at the beginning that it could be the gain, but its not, my alpine head unit has 4 volt preouts and in the amp i set it to 4.3 or so. Anyway, i'm thinking on getting a 50x4 diamond amp and new speakers so thanks a lot guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us