Amp help

Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 2
I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to hook up 3 amps to the head unit. Im planning one using 2 1000 watts for 4 10' subs,( 2 on each amp) and a 2000 watt for 2 12' subs. I know about the power drain there going to use and everything, but i was wondering it is possible to get a signal to all these subs through one head unit. I heard about "y" adaptors. Any help would be greatly appercaited.

Also, what are peoples stands on caps. Would you rather get a cap, im looking into a 5 farad cap, or should i get a higher performace alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 527
you're better off getting a HO alternator with the amount of power draw...not to mention, what do you need with 4 10's and 2 12's in the same car? why not just get 2 really high quality 12's?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 839
Hey Eric, have you thought of getting 2 18" subs instead of that many? It'll pump out mega bass. You'd be surprised how much power they can handle too.
You will need at least 350A HO alternator to power your amps. Not very practical unless you're into ear popping music.

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help. I want the 4 10's and 12's because i like to listen to different types of music. I would put the amps on a switch so i could turn them on and off at my dismay. I don't plan on listening to them all at the same time. Thats why i wanted to know if its possible to hook them up to the head unit. I would have them all hooked up to a 5 farad cap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
Hey Eric, why don't you get a rca input selector for the subs?
You'll still need HO alterator to power anything over 400W rms. A capacitor won't do much unless it's used together with HO alternator.

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 4
if i got the rca input selector, would i be able to use all the subs at the same time?

Silver Member

Post Number: 848
No Eric, only the one that's selected. Think of it as ABC switch. Only one of them can be on at once. Besides, you won't be able to power all of the amps unless you invest in HO alternator.

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 5
thanks for all the help Isaac. Sorry about all these questions, im sure you think im an idiot. How many amps should the HO alternator produce? thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 849
Hey Eric, I'd never think you're an idiot cause I've been there too. Noone's born smart.
As for the HO alternator, if you're planning to run all the amps then it's at least 350A.
However, if you're planning to alternate between 4 10" and 2 12" subs, then you'll need approximately 175A. 200A would be better.
You can get those from 4alterstart.com.
With alternator upgrade, you'll also need alternator wire upgrade, power wire upgrade to 0gauge, fuses, and capacitor (optional).

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 6
alright sounds good. Thanks for all the help.

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 7
I looked on that site and i can't find an alternator that large.. do you know of anywhere else i could get one for a 94 mitsubshi 3000 gt sl? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 851
Hey Eric, you need to call them. They will custom make one if they have to. Whatever you see are the most popular sizes and models.
If you do call, talk to Pat. He's a very friendly sales guy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us