How would i be able to put 2 amps together?

Anonymous

hi pplz i am putting another amp in my car how would i do that i got 2 4 channel amps over 2000 watts total from both amps together

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6233
two amps for different speakers, right?
or do you mean two amps connected to the same speakers?

Anonymous

no i want to put 2 amps to the same speakers

Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5
what speakers do you want to run with these amps? if we knew that we might be able to help out a little more!

Anonymous

im going to attach my amps to my 2 front speakers and to 1 15" sub

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6250
no way to do this.
connecting two amplifiers to the same speakers will short the amplifiers and destroy them.

The only way to connect two amplifiers to one speaker, is with class D subwoofer amps that support "strapping" where two amps are bridged together with a special cable sold by the amp manufacturer, and the signal to one of the pair of matched amplifiers is inverted. Then the pair of amps puts out double the usual power to a single 4 ohm load.
Kicker makes a few amplifiers like this, but otherwise you aren't going to be able to wire both multi-channel amps to one set of speakers.
Sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 406
Depends on the speaker output rails on the amps If they are common ground on any of the outputs shorting will happen.

The amp that I tried this with had no problem because the PWM power supply was isolated from the outputs. I think this is because the PWM power supply had a positive and negative rail so the speaker outputs can't be common to the ground. The you wire the inputs like normal but series the amp outputs "speaker (+) to Amp1 (+), amp1 (-) to amp2 (+), amp2 (-) to speaker (-)"

I'm not saying this will work with all amps but that it's possible to work with some amp designs. First the amps need to be identical in all respects (same brand and model). You will need to take some readings from the ground to each of the speaker outputs for voltage while the amp is running (a steady test tone works well). If you gat any measurable reading then forget it. Also remember that if your amps do down to 2 ohm bridged, that it will only do down to 4 ohm now that they are bridged and stacked.

(Note: Running is this configuration may not be mentioned or recommended by the manufacturer and may void your warranty if they find out your operating configuration of the amp)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6390
when you set your car on fire, send me pictures please.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 427
I do electronics and it's possible on some amps to do this as mentioned above. Your comment back was not very nice. I can flame back if you like. (Pun intended)

Reply back: "Where do you live and I'll be sure it's pictures of yours." now we are even lets drop it I'm not going to argue about weather it can be done on a particular amp or not.

Anonymous

thanks all of you gr8 looking out but fryguy i never said what you said tht i said "where do you live............

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6430
I was referring to the original poster, who asked, but to be honest you're right. you win.
based on your comments, fryguy, you're the biggest flamer I've ever met!
hehe

*runs and hides*

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6431
anyway in all seriousness, don't attempt this unless you've taken your amps apart and have a very good understanding of their schematics on an electrical design level.
If you go trying this with any two random amplifiers, particularly if one is circa 1988, you're facing a very good chance of destroying the amplifiers, the speakers, and worst of all, causing harm to yourself or others.

Not knowing your level of experience in electronics, nor that of anyones' on the board, I err on the side of caution, and suggest nobody try this sort of thing at home.
If you really feel the need to cain amplifiers together, talk to an engineer who can build the system for you with that intention firmly in mind.

best of luck either way though.
safety first, in anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us