New system, Lights dimming problem

Username: Geforce6688

USA

Post Number: 1
hello, I just upgraded my system big time to some Audiobahn Alum12Q's and a 2300HCT Audiobahn amp and now my lights dim really bad. This amp is massive and the subs are really loud but lights are dimming like crazy. What do you guys suggest to help the lights not dim? I have the stock alternater and stock battery and never had a problem with my last amp but that was only like 740 watts. Capacitor? New Alternater? One of those X-Static Batcaps? Help!

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 18
same boat as me sorta i have to upgrade to a 230 amp alternator..
use the formula on glasswolfs site to see how much u are drawing from your alternator and u can decide how powerful of one u need http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
you could get an optima yellowtop deep cycle battery too

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 810
Hey guys, you will need HO alternator for sure. Try 4alterstart.com. That's where I got mine.
As you get more powerful amps, they will draw more current. 2300HCT is 1600W amp. With a stock alternator, you'd be lucky to power 300W rms amp.
When you upgrade your alternator, make sure you order alternator wire upgrade with it.

USA

Post Number: 2
I cant afford a Alternater now but I am looking into a PowerAcoustik 5 Farad cap. Would this be a big enough cap for this 4800 Watt amp? This new system is sooo loud I think my ears will start to bleed if I turn it up to loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 827
Whoa, well then keep the volume down till you can afford it. Too much current draw without HO alternator could lead to battery/alternator/electrical system failure.
A capacitor won't do anything unless the alternator can supply the needed power. Anyhow, it's 1F of capacitor for every 1000W peak.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6252
you'll really want to upgrade the alternator.
here's some info I wrote about alternators, and capacitors that may help educate ya a bit on the topics if you care to read them:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

USA

Post Number: 3
Yea i guess i underestimated, I think I will get the alternator now that is see the price. I think it will be a good upgrade for the long run. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6279
what sort of car?
many cars you can find a larger alternator pretty cheap.. say under $200 or right in that ballpark.
try eBay, mralternator.com, 4alterstart.com, or alternatorparts.com for starters.

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 22
Do not forget to upgrade "The Big 3" when you upgrade your alternator. I my naive state I didn't upgrade the wire from my engine block to the chasis when I upgraded my alternator. My lights still dimmed untill I put a length of 4 gauge from the mount bolt of the alternator to the chasis.

The Big 3 Are:
1. Alternator to Battery
2. Battery to Ground (Chasis)
3. Alternator/Engine Block to Ground (Chasis)

USA

Post Number: 4
It is a 1995 Toyota Celica 2.2 liter standard tranny. I cant seem to find a specific one for my car. Can you show me some ones for my car and about how many amps would it need to put out? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
Hey Kdubbz, try 4alterstart.com. If you don't see one for your car, they will custom make it. You'll need somewhere around 175A - 200A.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us