My jl12w6v2 isnt making me happy!

Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 1
hey guys I am running a jl12w6v2 sub with a PPI A 600.2 at 8ohms because that amp is not stable at anything under 4 ohms. It is dual 4ohm for those of you who did not know. I ran it at 2ohms first then switched it to 8. Now I am giving it a good amount of power but I am not really happy with the way it hits above 50htz. I have it in a sealed 1.22 box just so you know. could that be the wrong box size? I was thinking about getting another one so I could run my amp at 4ohms and give it its optimum performance levels but before I go and drop more money on another one I was wondering what subs compare and/or are maybe louder. Also I have to run at 4ohms mono with my amp. I was thinking about getting rid of my amp but I love it and everyone I have talked to says that they are one of the best amps ever made. I could still get a good amount for my sub used so that is always an option if there is something better. So please help me out guys I was looking at the Brahma and the V-max but I dont know what to do. thanks
James

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 487
you're first problem was you bought JL, i personally hate JL, i find everyplace that sells them to be extremly pushy towards there products and JL is just too overpriced...if you want a new sub and have to run it at 4 ohms get an RE X.xx 12 dual 2 ohm, run it at 4 ohms off your mono amp...done deal...hopefully you can push the 900ish watts it'll want

Ct

Post Number: 8
thats the problem man my amp is rated at 600rms x1 at 4ohms. So knowing that would a brahme at dual 2ohms be better than the RExxx?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6258
that 12W6v2 is a good sub.
you should be giving it around 400-500 watts though in my opinion, and you really want to consider a larger box.
Maybe closer to 1.5-1.6cu ft
see if that helps, or even go to 2cu ft, and port it with a single 4" ID port tuned to about 34Hz.

that sub works very well ported and you'll get quite a bit more output from it.

Ct

Post Number: 10
yeah if I stay with this sub I am gonna need to buy 1 more to be at 4ohms. Is it worth it to get one more or just sell the one I have and get a Brahma or a REXXX and run it at 4ohms. I have a class A/B amp so it wont run mono under 4 ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6337
that'll depend on how much power you'll get at 4 ohms with two subs.
a second sub, with the same power split between them as the single sub got alone, will add +3dB
another +3dB if you double the power so each sub gets what the single sub was getting initially.

a triple X is going to need about 1000 watts of RMS power to really make it move the way it should.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us