Speaker crackling when bass added

Username: Grokes

Post Number: 1
I just got some new Alpine 200 watt 6" speakers for the rear of my car. They are all fine at lower volumes but when u add some bass to them, they make a crackling or crunching noise. I've set the system up so that they only let through high frequencies and block most of the bass but it still happens. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to fix the problem or control it somehow.

Bronze Member
Username: Dontavious89

Laurens, SC USA

Post Number: 52
Are they woofers,or mids?If theyre mids and you put alot of bass through them they'll make a crackling sound ,and eventually rip.If you want bass get some 8"s or 10"s and maybe a 100-200 watt mini amp.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6104
what size are these speakers?
if ya want bass you really need to add subs.. no way around that.
those speakers should probably be set to HPF 150Hz, 12 or 18dB Q.
bass should be set close to flat.

Post Number: 3
I have a 12" pioneer sub so I dont need the bass for these speakers. I've tried to set them up with minimal bass going through the 6" speakers but still there is a a crackling noise.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6160
do you have any sort of high pass filter on those speakers?

Post Number: 4
yeah I've got the HPF set to block out all of the low frequencies. Something to do with the sub makes them crackle tho because if i turn the sub off, I can turn the speakers up without a problem. But once the sub starts to crank, it makes the crackly crunchy noise. I dont think it happens as much with the deeper bass but more the higher bass. I dont want to cut the bass out completely but get rid of the crackling.

Post Number: 5
the HPF is on the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2723
Make sure the sub isn't interfering with the speakers. Subs affect rear speakers because pressure is applied to them, if it's bad enough the sub will try to use the rear speakers as a passive radiator, effectively moving the cone of the rear speakers and resulting in distortion and other issues. If that's not the problem, then you can start looking at the electronics.

Post Number: 7
so how can i check if the sub is interferring with the rear speakers? What can I do to try and stop this?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2726
Disconnect the rear speakers from the amp/head unit. Then, play the subwoofer as you normally would. Feel the cone of the rear speaker, does it vibrate or move a lot? If it does, then your subs are interfering with the rears, and the only solution is to enclose the rears in a box or one of those cheaper foam baffles (Crutchfield sells them) or to totally remove the rears altogether.

Post Number: 8
I disconnected them and they do vibrate a fair bit. I'm in Australia so I dont know what crutchfield is. Do I need to put the rears in a box on top of the rear parcel shelf or can i enclose them whilst they are in the shelf. I would rather keep them in the shelf because then they are more secure in the car.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2730
Crutchfield is www.crutchfield.com You should be able to at least pull up the site and see what I'm talking about, I believe they're called XTR foam baffles, but anyway, they'll be under the speaker install portion of the site, where speakers and subs are. You could enclose them while in the shelf, that's fine.

Post Number: 9
Thanks for all this help. But i was just wondering how sure u are that these will solve the problem. I am a bit low on cash at the moment and I dont want to buy things that aren't certainly going to help. I dont mean to be rude or anything, just want to know for sure that they will fix the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us