Isac or anyone amp help

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 17
whoa i was always under the empression that mono amps devided the power between 2 subs..
so im ready do buy my amps for my 2 type R 12's 2ohm
and 15" type R 4ohm.. so rather than get alpines MRD-M1001 which has 1000watts rms .. i should get the MRD-M501 which has 550 rms2ohm giving 300 to each 12 easily and get another one for the 15 does this sound right?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 811
Hey MarkS, yes the amp will divide power between 2 subs. I found my old mathematical formula. See what happens when you pile your books away for a long time :-)
That sounds about right. Since your 15" sub isn't the same as the 12's, you'll need a separate amp.
Just curious, why are you getting 3 subs?
Why not just 3 or 4 identical ones?

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 19
just prefference i guess the 15 type R has more excursion/power handling and obviously far larger magnet so just wanted to try somethin diff hoping it will pickup the deep base nicely

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6230
the amplifier will divide it's power ***at the given load*** between the two subs connected to it, for a monoblock amp. yes.

remember, two subs in parallel halves the load, which, unless it's an amp with a regulated output like the JL slash series, will double the power output of the amplifier..

If you connect two 4 ohm subs to an amp in parallel, it sees a 2 ohm load, thus doubling the amp's power (theoretically, or approximately) from what it puts out at a 4 ohm load.
Therefore, with a mono amp, if you put a single 4 ohm sub on the amp, it may see 500 watts.
If you put a second 4 ohm sub on the same channel in parallel, each sub will then see 500 watts.

get it?

Bronze Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 21
sorta do you mean it like this.. the MRD M501 is Rated at 225 rms at 4 ohms and 550 at 2 ohms
so are u saying adding another sub brings it from 225 to 550 doubling the power? i still dont see how both subs recieve 500 :\

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6307
if you have a single sub connected to the MRD501 and the sub is 4 ohms, it'll get 225 watts.
If you add a second 4 ohm sub in parallel to the MRD501, you'll get 250 watts to each sub.
(500 / 2)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us