Connecting 2 Stereos to Single Set of Speakers?

Tutunas
Unregistered guest
I have a Clarion car/marine stereo on a boat. I also have a PC with lots of MP3s which I want to connect to a set of speakers. I have an extra amp for use with the PC, but my question is if I can use a speaker selection box (wired backwards) or some other A/B switch so that I can use the same set of speakers for two different "stereo systems."

Both the marine stereo and PC are always on at the same time, since the PC also runs navigation software. My only reason for wanting to use one set of speakers is aesthetics.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6401
If you're using an amp for the speakers, and have a line level signal from both sources, you can use the Sony XA-39 which is a switch box for using two sources on the same amp/speaker system.
it has front and rear RCA inputs for two sources, and F/R outputs to amps.
small metal box. I used to have one on a shelf around here. used it to run a CD player and a tape deck in the same car back in the late 80s

Tutunas
Unregistered guest
What if I already have two amps and I want to put an "A/B" switch between the amps and the speakers?

The amps are both mounted in a different part of the boat and I want the switch close to the speakers. Will a standard speaker selection box wired backwards work, or will the fact that both amps are always on screw things up?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6530
I'd just wire the system properly the first time instead of trying to jerry rig it to work.
you're only going to end up damaging something by overcomplicating this whole thing.
switch at the line level, not speaker level.

Tutunas
Unregistered guest
GlassWolf

Check this product out. This is the type of switch I was looking for. FYI.

Product Code: niles-dps-1
Price: $89.96

Niles DPS-1 Amplifier/Speaker A-B Selector
Enables you to play either of two amplifiers through a shared pair of loudspeakers
Power handling: 350 watts per channel
Connectors accommodate up to 14 gauge wire
Table-top unit
Dimensions: 10-1/8" wide x 2-1/2" high x 5-7/16" deep
MSRP: $89.95
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us