Convincing Parents

Username: D1slocate

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 4
So I'm 17 and I've been saving for my system for quite some time, it's all I really care for, and now that I'm finally about to buy it my mom says spending around 2g on car audio is rediculous. I can certainly understand why she thinks that since she's old and doesn't understand much about technology and cars, but it's my money and in 10 months I'll legally be an adult anyway. Her main reason is that I won't hear sirens or someone honking at me and that would be dangerous, I'm only looking to have about 600 watts in my subwoofers and about 200 in my speakers, is that really THAT loud? It's not like I'm gonna have it all the way up all the time anyway. I know this post may sound rediculous, and that's because it is, but I'm sure other people lurking around this board have crazy parents as well. I love bass and music, I play the bass guitar, I make good grades, don't cause any trouble, so all she really has is that it will be dangerous and it's too much money. What are some reasons or statistics I can use to show her 600-800 watts is what I need and it won't be dangerous, and that spending 2 grand is normal for a stereo system. Please help out a fellow bass-head guys :-)

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Let me guess All JL Audio gear?
I might call it rediculous but its your preferance.
Really what where you planing to purchase?
I myslef could see how fast you can come upto $2,000 at like a Tekla Car Audio, they sell there best amps for like $1,300each.
Maybe we could help you lower the total cost.

also I bet you get great grades without using paragraphs, just a joke :D

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 5
Well one reason I probably hit around $2,000 so fast is because I need an entire system and I wanna do this through a local retailer, plus I'm including installation and stuff. The first step is convincing my parents to get off my back and then maybe I can look for better deals.

Right now a guy is trying to sell me tons of memphis stuff. I can tell he's a little too high on it though. I'm going to check out two other places this week.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 450
Hey Michael, 600W is loud but nothing to sweat over. That $2000 is about an average. I think I've spent more than that on my whole system. Of course I bought them in pieces and installed most of them myself.
You might want to check eBay for price comparison. Rockford and Kickers have some very nice looking amps.
Have you thought of putting in some manual labour? You'll get more satisfaction out of it and the music will seem like it sounds better.
You mentioned something about 200W for your speakers, I'm thinking they mean front and rear speakers right?
If you can, get 4 channel amp that's around 75W-100W rms x 4. It'll help balance out the sound between your speakers and the sub better.
If you shop wisely, you might end up with some cash left.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Ah, shop around.
then perhaps purchase online and save big.
but I dont ebay, its a 50/50 chance of it working.
I can buy from an internet retailer and have a 1yr warranty for them to replace it.
but seriously shop around for what you think is best for you, not what the dealers say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Don't tell the dealer that you have $2000 to spend or else you're going to get played.

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 93
Don't jump right in a buy whatever a salesman pitches to you just because you've finally got your money together. 2000$ is a lot of money to spend without doing some research which hopefully you've done some of. If youre a thrifty shopper and sh1t you can easily leave some money left over. Show your parents that you're reallyinto it and that you are making a decision that you feel confident with. Your mom probably just has a bad impression of the bass and loud music. Try to tell her that it is just a serious hobby of yours.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 280
also make sure youre putting some money into a nice alarm thats loud and annoying. it would be a shame for a 2g system to be snagged =\ what exactly are the subs/amps/speakers you have been looking at? im sure people on this board know of some legit websites that would sell the same products for nearly half the cost. also, explain some of the things that are hard to understand in car audio. ohm theory, what "watts" are, etc etc. it will show your rents its more of a hobby rather than an irritating noise that a lot of older people dont like. my parents were pretty easy to win over. i just explained the research i had done, showed i was getting a good deal on the products i purchased, and also paid for it completly with my own money. explain your love for music. good luck!

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 6
Well I've been looking at the 12" Kicker Comp VR's online, as well as the Cerwin Vega V-Max's. I went to this first store because I knew they sold kicker stuff. Unfortunately, they don't sell the amps and I was thinking of the kicker 600.1 amp.

I went last night and they were closing early for thanksgiving so I couldn't test anything out but he told me to look into the 12" M3 Memphis subs with 300 rms each, and maybe a memphis 500.1 amp to power them.

As far as head units I was liking the Alpine CDA-9830. The clarion's around that range seem nice though.

As far as speakers and a multi-channel amp for them, I'm clueless other than Infinity seems liked on this board, and my '96 Grand Cherokee already has an infinity system. Glasswolf pointed out that in his '94 JGC he has Infinity Perfect's up front with some infinity reference coaxils in the back. The Perfects might be a little too expensive for me and I liked the Infinity Kappa's. I haven't had the chance to listen to anything yet so I don't really know what I need.

As far as installing stuff myself, that could really help out my situation. My dad is pretty good at wiring since he used to build houses, and my brother just put a new deck and speakers in his car (nothing big tho, no amp). How much of it do you think we could install ourselves if we used the manuals?

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
Hey Michael, how's this for a plan. Have the dealer install the power wire for you properly so that you won't have to deal with grounding and noise pickup. It shouldn't cost you no more than $45, that includes running the rca cable from the HU to the back.
After that, you can install everything else and save big dollars. You just need to do it in sections. There's no way you can do everything in one day unless you're experienced. You will find that it is time consuming but very rewarding afterwards.
Most of the products you buy come with pretty good instructions and if not, you can always ask us.
One more thing, if you think the HU installation might be a bit tough, have the dealer install it at the same time. The rest of the items (speakers,amps, subs) are all straight forward.

Good luck and have fun.

Anonymous

Hey Michael, I noticed that you are from Cary, NC. I am from the area too. I got my box built from Creative Accoustics in Raleigh. You should go there for your installation because they know what they are doing (Jay Lovelace owns the place, he has all kinds of world records). Also get them to build your box, but I would recommend getting your equipment off the internet so you will not have to pay retail

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 13
Hi Michael,

Just my 2 bobs worth on the HU choice, stick with the Alpine mate. Their nice units that are well built and designed. I have had a bunch of their gear and it has never failed to impress in the build quality and design departments. Other experienced members here may be able to suggest head units that are just as good or better, but from personal experience I can say the Alpine should be a safe bet and money well spent.

Cheers Glenn

eric77
Unregistered guest
I am currently having the same problem with my parents. They dont really seem to care about the cost but they do not want me getting subwoofers. What I have been trying to explain to them is how all music has highs, mids and lows. I then told them about 1/3 of all music is belwo 80 hz or is a low and you can really only hear this if you have a subwoofer regardless of how loud the music is. I left out the part about getting a 1500w amp not that they would understand what that is anyways. I am not sure if this conversation worked yet seeing as though they still have to "talk about it." Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 19
Once you get the stuff they can't say anything. Thats what happened with me and my parents. Just don't bang when their around and it won't bother them anymore. Also make sure you get an alarm so you won't regret anything. Thats my input. lates.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 281
Micheal;
Being a parent you might try this approach also.
Only spend 1/2 they money you have saved. Get your h/u and speakers and amp. If possible. Save some more money then get your subs and amp.
This will show your parents that you are being at least semi responsible, and saving some money at the same time. For college, or an emergency of some some sort.
You have to take into consideration that as a parenet it is a responsibilty to teach you to save money and still be prepared for an emergency.
What if you go out spend the entire 2G's on your new system, and your car breaks. Now you have to have your car to get to school and to work. So your parents are gonna have to foot the bill. Money that in the long run you wouldn't pay back.
In your post you only mentioned your mom. If she is a single mother, I can guarentee it's been tough to raise even 1 kid on your own. You say you are gonna be 18 in 10 months, so about the only other thing I can say is try to put yourself in her/thier place. You have to understand where they are coming from if you plan on winning this argument.
Then if all else fails go against them and buy it anyway. Like was said earlier, if it's installed they can't make you take it back. Can They??

In case you are wondering yes they can.

Bronze Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 19
I have an 18yr old that works for me, and we are always talking car audio. He finally saved up $2000 and wanted to get his system started.

He ordered everything but the subs online and installed everything in one weekend. The system really rocks and he was very happy with it.

He is now going through extreem buyers remorse...he is only 18 and is now thinking about all the other stuff he needed before focussing on his system. It really got bad when he heard something louder. Loud systems have that affect on you, especially when you thought your's was loud.

I myself have spent thousands on systems, sometimes regretting it, sometimes not. Even now I'm debating on putting a system in my truck. I have plenty of money, but I also have priorities.

Spend wisely my friend, make your purchase worth every penny, and listen to what some of these guys are telling you. You can get a great system for 2 grand.

Anyway, your first statement "it's all I really care for" says a lot about you.

Anonymous

Yeah, I have to remind myself that my system is good for the money I paid. It's hard not to want to upgrade everything when you hear a better system!

Bronze Member
Username: Carlb

Post Number: 22
My Parents as well think that it is a pretty silly idea, but they don't really haggle about how much I spend, as the money im spending it from is scholarship money, so I deserve it (well.... :P)

Im dad, who is cares about audio a bit (have a pretty good home stereo), told me that a good subwoofer is a waste of money, as "they all just go 'boom'". Except his small one in the home stereo system of course ;). He also says that its not worth doing much in the car, as its a car and I'll never get a good sound out of it.

To that, as well as the subwoofer thing (I bought everything already, just installing now), I just say 'wait and see', and I simply plan to take my time and spend as much money as necessary to make it sound as good as possible.

You might have a bit harder time if you don't have anything yet, but I would just try to get them to try it out, and say that if they still really think it is bad once you get it, and they hear it, that you will sell it. If you shop right, you won't lose any money by reselling. I would probably make some money on parts of my system if I sold it right now.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1120
well first off, mike im in yuor same situation, except my parent dont really care all that much...

over the past year and a half i've been through about 5 sound systems and probably about $5000 to 6000 worth of equipment haha keep in mind when i started i didnt know a whole lot and got junk stuff...so you're starting off better than me and plus i was only 16 then

im right now in transition between systems and dilema of subwoofers...my two elemental design 11kv.2's or a 15" brahma? i know ull say brahma but it may be overkill in my geo prizm heh

plus my car just brokedown recently and has about a $1500 pricetag on the repairs....dinged there too

i can relate to your position and you'll have to tell them that you're going to be on your own soon and need to make your own decisions, whether right or wrong is to be decided at a future date...but you will deal with the concequences either way

iknow im just another person lecturing you but im telling you, the system makes a massive difference in the car wherever you go, plus people love it too whenever they go with you.

also, learn how to install and do it yourself, save $200-400 on that..ive done everyone of my installs myself, all turned out great except the first...lol go figure but i hardly knew anything then, and now i look back and laugh at my ghettoness

right now i have pioneer prmeier 560mp head unit
ed 11kv.2 subs, bp600.1, cdt comps, bp180.2 for comps, stinger wiring, 200 amp alternator (waiting to be purchased by next paycheck)
-all waiting to be installed by me in the next cpl weeks or so

theres my let see about 700 cents here haha hope some helps you out

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
Hey CarlB, tell your dad he's wrong. My car sounds better than a home stereo now. It makes just about any music sound like a concert!
Sure I can make boom sounds but I prefer more than that. I tuned my system using classical music. If you have a bad system, trust me, a classical music will tell you instantly. In order for them to sound like a concert, you need speakers that can produce the full frequency range, not just boom sounds. I balanced my sub, mid and highs around my car (9 speakers in total with 3 amps).
I swear if you close your eyes, you'd think you're at a concert.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2669
I doubt car audio will ever sound like some Martin Logans, but a well setup system can outdo a lot of quality home audio setups. Good car audio stuff is cheaper than good home audio stuff, so that's a benefit :-). I personally use Dynaudio System 360 components and a single 12" ID Max in my truck, eventually when I get a car I plan on a Dynaudio System 240 Esotar and 2 12" Eclipse Titaniums or RE X.X.X.s, active crossovers and Zapco or US amps. Isaac is right, when you set up a car correctly, you can close your eyes and pick out the location of every instrumentalist, vocalist, etc. in the exact point in the soundstage.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1126
haha wow jonathon i like your setup..

im only 18 right now making like 200 a week haha but its all going into my sound system/alarm system right now and im workin my way up there with kx600.1 (traded for it with bp600.1+tid bit of cash), kx400.2 for comps (traded 180.2+cash), looking at some CDT HD-62 components for like $300 or so (upgrade from cl-61a's)

haha so im slowly getting to your's and glasswolf's mobile audio status

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 103
i cant even speak to my parents about car audio, because everytime i do they always bring up how i owe them money. eventhough i bought the system before i borrowed money. my dad is just a stiff when it comes to anything that wasn't around when he was a kid:-(

Azzhole
Unregistered guest
I say use that money to move out.
Then you can use drugs and have
post-coital dribblings on your bedsheets
without worrying about getting caught by your parents.
...plus they wont be there to whine about how
YOU are spending YOUR OWN money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
Whoa, that's all I'm going to say about the above advice!

Azzhole
Unregistered guest
Just trying to give the kid some direction ;-)

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 7
Ok, I looked for deals and used words on my mom she couldn't possibly understand and it worked. She seems ok with me spending about $1100 on all of the main components. Tell me how you guys like this setup.

-Alpine CDA-9830 for $250 off crutchfield
-Infinity Kappa 60.5cs for $215 off crutchfield

I'm sticking to crutchfield for these two because they are secure and will provide the harnesses and kits I need, and an installation guide for my car.

-Kicker kx200.2 for $135 off onlinecarstereo.com

I'm thinking 70 x 2 will be enough since the Kappa's have an RMS of 90. Since I will only have front speakers, should I jump up to a kicker kx250.2 with 85 x 2? And would the kickers be better than mtx thunders?

-2 12" SVC Cerwin Vega V-Max's $178 for both off onlinecarstereo.com
-Kicker kx600.1 mono amp $340 off onlinecarstereo.com

If I guessed right, the 2 SVC subs can be wired to a 2-ohm load to the kx600.1, correct?

Then of course I gotta buy the wiring and the box and an alarm system, but I'll focus on those laters, any suggestions on all of this?

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 251
Depends on what u are looking for Micheal. If you are looking for good sound quality, the system your thinking is great. Imo though, i don't like the kappas.... I find they are too pricy and don't sound that good. But you see, sound is subjective, go down to a car audio shop and listen to them. That's where i found out that the rockford fosgate 6x9 speakers sound amazing, Better than the kappas. But like i said, it's to your ear, no one else's.

voice of reason
Unregistered guest
you guys are all crazy. i'm 35 y/o and have a good job. i've never spent more than $1,000 on anything in my life (except my VW Jetta). it's not necessary and, honestly, it doesn't make you any happier to spend money on empty things like stereos, cars, fancy clothes, TVs, xbox's, etc.

save your money. go to college. make a better life for yourself. then, if you've got the change, drop $2 grand on whatever the heck you want.

listen to your parents.

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
hey voice of reason
I'm 51 yrs old and have spent tons of money on car stereo equip, and saved money and bought a house, and raised 5 kids and put 1 through college, and getting ready to put another through college.
Hows that song go "IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY"
leave the kid alone. outlooks on life are a heck of alot different now than when you were a kid or when I was kid.
If you would have paid attention(which doesn't cost you a thing) you would have noticed that he had 2 grand saved. He's only spending half of it. So he's still saving some money. That shows his parents he is being responsible and still getting what he wants.
Darned prudes anyway.

voice of reason
Unregistered guest
hey koz, if you had paid *better* attention you'd have noticed that he plans on dropping $1100 on the "main components", plus then he needs cash for a bunch of other stuff. and that's only after he pleaded with his mom.

what do you mean by "outlooks on life are a heck of alot different now than when you were a kid or when I was kid"?

congratulations to you on your accomplishments to date with regard to kids, college, house and stereo equipment. i think i was trying to endorse that type of balance in life.

bottom line, a 17 y/o kid with $2,000 is great. but droppping well over half of it on car stereo equipment is just wrong. period. there's no "if it makes him happy" or "everyone is different" or "it's a free country B.S." congratulations on saving the cash. now do something useful with it.

trust me, Michael Shelton, and all the other Michael Sheltons out there, you will drop the money on the car stereo and will think it's cool for a couple of days but you will regret it. it will feel very unsatisfying.

heck, spend $500 on a stereo. that's gotta get you something decent, no? put $1400 into a college fund and use the $100 to take your mom out to a nice dinner.

i guarantee you will feel better about yourself if you do.

Username: Rusio1

Phoenix, Az

Post Number: 4
I'm 32, college grad, kids and a good job. At 15-20 yrs of age I couldn't think of anything more important than my ride. First make sure your engine mechanics are straight and everything works from front to back-top to bottom, because nothing sucks like having a nice looking, nice sounding ride that sits in the garage. Once you have taken care of that aspect, get your system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
voice;
what i don't understand about all this is--if you have never spent more than a 1000 on anything but your vw jetta, what are doing on this forum?

bottom line, a 17 y/o kid with $2,000 is great. but droppping well over half of it on car stereo equipment is just wrong. period. there's no "if it makes him happy" or "everyone is different" or "it's a free country B.S." What country did you get that from? Face it my man its not B.S. and the rest is exactly what life is all about.
You are only young once in your life. You might as well enjoy it while you can. He will realize soon enough what the responsible part of life is.

I also didn't see the word pleaded with his mom in any of the posts. He may not have went about things the way you would have, but then again he isn't you. It sounds like he is going to enjoy a little something out of life, and it sounds as if you haven't.

voice of reason
Unregistered guest
i check out this site b/c i've acquired a decent home stereo system over the years and have spent money (but never tons at a time or indulgently on my other interests (golf, mountain biking, amateur baseball, skiing, etc.) and have traveled all over the world (best use of money i can think of, frankly). so i don't think i haven't enjoyed what life has to offer.

sure, the kid can do whatever he wants. but i don't recommend it for the two reasons i've described: 1. it won't be nearly as satisfying to him and he thinks it will be (yes, that's just my opinion, everyone relax!) and 2. he should use most of that money saved for more productive purposes (college, nice dinner for mom).

yes, kids these days are different. at 17, i was probably obsessed with buying a $100 baseball glove. but i don't think this "different" is "different but equal" or "different and ok". it's different and wrong, IMHO. it's what's wrong with our society and country, frankly. kids today are are too complacent and foolish. yes, all kids of all generations are/were complacent/foolish. but more and more so each day...

that's my $.02. i'm outta here now. maybe i'm alone in my views. we'll see.

everyone, fire away....

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
Whoa, I thought this thread was for supporing car audio :-)
I do agree, you're only young once but that doesn't mean you have go to nuts. Some people go too far and some don't take any chances.
I personally think my car stereo is great. I don't regret spending money on it. In fact, it's very enjoyable. I use it everyday. Makes driving less painful and stressful.
You also have to give the kid some credit for saving up and buying something he wants. Lot of kids (you know who they are), just prefer to rob/steal whatever they want in life.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 114
yeah 2000 bucks is a lot of money to be saved from a min. wage paying job. if you think about it it takes a lot of patience and detirmination on their part to save that much money. it may seem foolish to spend that much on a system, but maybe that is one of the only things that he likes, and it could be stress relieving. everyone has an exspensive hobby

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1128
ok come on seriously, a kid wants to get a stereo for his car let him..

what makes me mad is when people can say "oh its 2000 think of what you can do with that"

......what do u do when you make 40,000 a year? 100,000? 300,000? 2000 is but a tiny fraction of it...realistically, not alot at all

its the little things in life that make it worth living for, and this is one of them...i love mine, and its not even complete, im probably gonig to drop another $600 or so into it with about $1200 or so invested already and im 18...ask me if i care what you say/offer to me or anyone my age

and you think im complacent/foolish for doing this? complacent doesnt involve getting into a prestigous college and playing lacrosse there on the team and being a competitive freshman starter...

thats my opinion anyways...

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
wow a big thread and the word "audiobahn" hasnt been said once! just sum comedy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 547
Audiobahn, Audiobahn, Audiobahn, Audiobahn ,Audiobahn!
I hope you're happy now.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1131
lmfao....

good one guys...amused me :-)

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
aww you ruined it. *Fears the Audiobahn pluage*

voice of reason
Unregistered guest
first of all, lacrosse is a stupid sport b/c the goalie is absolutely defenseless. here, score another goal.

second, sure the kid can get what he wants. (how many times have i said that?). congratulations to you and everyone else here that has a passion for a hobby *and* the means to feed the passion while keeping a life balance (sports, competitive college, kids, etc.).

but i think most here would admit that the odds are when a 17 y/o kid wants to drop $2k on a luxury item that *usually* there are better uses for *most* (not all) of that cash.

and, further, that something that costs $2k shouldn't be "all that he really cares for." that first statement and his tone sounds like someone looking for something in life. frankly, something beyond a stereo. maybe some friends, an active hobby, sports, books, learning, family, travel, etc. - there's a lot more out there than moving air in your car. dropping $2k for the purpose of cranking bad music and trying to impress your friends is just a bad idea, again, IMHO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Jensen, Jensen, Jensen, Jensen!
How's that then... :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 64
good god...give it a rest dude. now you're ripping on peoples recreational activities?
poor kid asks for some advice on his new sytem and he gets a another parental lecture on how to spend his money. why dont you go check out the teen-help forums.

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 8
Ok, let me rephrase what I said then. It's all I really care to spend my money on. You guys can stop argueing with eachother over who's advice was better, you all gave good advice. I've realized 2 grand was a bit much n im looking to spend less than 1300 now. I really want a nice system and I think spending this much is worth it. After I buy it I will still have $2500 left and I still have a year and a half to save even more for college.

There isn't a second when I'm home and there isn't music blasting in my room, so I don't think I'll regret getting an awesome system for my car. Thanks for all the help, I'll be back asking questions since I'm gonna try installing most of it.

voice of reason
Unregistered guest
Michael,

cool. sounds like a plan. congratulations on your savings. enjoy your new system. btw, i think it's a good idea to install it yourself b/c you'll learn something about electrical systems.

VoR

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1137
and btw, just like to say being a defensemen, our high school goalie is one of the best in the state....he is not defenseless and id like to see you give it a go sometime

=P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us