Powerful amps, need help

Username: Drjones2k2

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 1
I am going to buy a JL Audio system for my 96 honda civic ex. It will contain two JL 12w7's, and two JL 1000/1 amps. My freinds told me that my stock alternator will not support these amp's. I was thinking about getting two Kole Audio 2.4 farad capacitors.(are these caps any good?)If not than what are? And will this be enough? If not then what about a high output alternator. I found a 150 amp alternator, will this work. I am looking for any way to make this system work, any help from an experenced person will be appreciated. Also is having to big of a capacitor a bad thing? If so then why?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 273
The capacitor isnt going to do anything but smoothe out eclectrical spikes. That 150 should be ok, but take a look at this site try and get it as big as you can for the buck http://www.4alterstart.com/ One other thing the 1000/1 maybe a lil too much for the 12w7 it matches up better with the 500/1. The 1000/1 goes more with the 13w7. The way you match capacitors up its 1 farad for every 1000 watts. You also might want to change your battery to a deep cycle yellow top optima battery. Good luck

Username: Drjones2k2

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 4
Thank you for responding so quickley. Also I was wondering if two 12w7's would still sound really good, if I only had 1 JL Audio 1000/1 amp? And also do you think would they be something you could hear coming down the street from a ways.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 276
It would be a beast on two 12w7's Just get a ported box thats built right. If you really want it to hit I would go to a good shop and let them port the box into through your arm rest or the rear deck. If you do that they wont just hear you they will feel you coming down the street
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us