Kicker L7

Username: Allemanfb

Post Number: 2
are the L7's reliable subs. Ive heard there eazy subs to blow

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 246
They are reliable, but the problem is their shape. The scare model makes the cone harder to extend.
U're better of with another sub, especially round.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 260
ALot of people say the shape wont let them move, and the tinsel lead brake. But I have had mines for 3 years no problems, but my boys messed his tinsle leads up. I think if you find the right mono amp because my boys amp was stereo, you should be ok. PLus alot of people dont understand fine tuning of crossover and gains. fom my opinion there good.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 91
i think L7s blow a lot because they are mosly used for SPL competition and people trying to get really loud. if you don't abuse them, they are as reliable as any other sub. i've had mine for about a year with no problems.

i'm not sure about the square cone being "harder to exend", but the square shape does let the L7 push 20% more air than a round sub of the same size, and that's a good thing.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 92
almost forgot, i read an article where the kicker team hooked up four 1200 watt rms mono blocks, one to each coil of a pair of 8" L7s for an SPL test. if two 8"s can take a total of 4800 watts continuous without blowing, i say they are pretty sturdy subs.

Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 8
there good they have sveral advantages like surface area, however the one disadvantage is they have uneven stress points which is bad

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 93
as hard as i've listened for those uneven stress points, i can't hear them. i've been waiting a long time for these stress points to reveal themselves in some way - no luck so far.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2666
It's usually a flaw at extremely high excursions and it increases distortion, something you don't notice as much with low frequencies.

"i read an article where the kicker team hooked up four 1200 watt rms mono blocks, one to each coil of a pair of 8" L7s for an SPL test. if two 8"s can take a total of 4800 watts continuous without blowing, i say they are pretty sturdy subs."

That's not really uncommon for SPL tests. When you run a ported or bandpass box near tuning, the mechanical power handling of the sub is much, much more than if that sub were in a sealed box. If you were to run that sub with that much power for a long period of time, it would fry the voice coil, and if you applied it at anything other than a port's tuned frequency, the sub would have mechanical failure eventually.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 111
Can't seem to blow mine. Loud 2.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us