Help me find an AMP for my 2 Infinty Subs Please

Markdawg1
Unregistered guest
I have dual Infinity Reference 1230 subs in the back of my suburban (http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='1230W'&Ser=REF&Cat=SUB). These subs claim to run at 300 RMS @ 4 ohms. At the time, I just bought a Fosgate PUnch 301m amp because i was low on cash (http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ez2/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10061221&Cate goryDesc=Punch%20Amplifiers) This amp only puts out 150 x 1 @ 4 ohms. I know that this means I am obviously under powered. Now the questions I have are:
Should I buy a 4 channel, 2 channel, or Mono amp for the 2 subs. I have seen 4 channel amps that put out 300 x 2 RMS @ 4 ohms, is this the ideal fit for me?
what amp should i get??

markdawg1
Unregistered guest
please help

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 338
Hey Markdawg1, the amp you have is sufficient. Since you said you have dual subs, wire them in parallel so that you get 2ohms. Now the amp will supply 300W rms into both speakers.
For subs, you don't need stereo amps. Mono class D are the best since it uses less power to produce high output.

markdawg1
Unregistered guest
But if 1 sub runs at 300 rms at 4 ohms, wouldnt you need double that power to run 2 subs???/

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Nope, connect both subs to one amp and it'll pump 300W. Think of it as having 2 12v light bulbs. You don't increase the voltage to 24v to power 2 12v bulbs right? Same thing with the amp.

Markdawg1
Unregistered guest
what about 4 channel amps that boast 300 x 2 RMS @ 4 ohms ratings? They say that that is the best for 2 subs... what is the difference between this method and running one Mono amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
Hey markdawg1, why would you want to get 4 channel amp to power the subs? You'd be wasting lot of power. Sub amps are made for delivering lots of power using less current.
If you get class D 400W rms amp, you'll get much better result in terms of power and sound.
Don't forget the remote bass control.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us