Good coaxials for 2000 Explorer Sport

Username: Molaq

Waltham, MA USA

Post Number: 1
I have a 2000 Explorer sport (2 door) and am planning on putting in a new stereo system. Initially, I am going to replace the head unit (probably with an $200 - $300 alpine or pioneer) and the front speakers and install a 2 channel amp. Based on opinions I have seen on this board, I am planning on disconnecting the rear speakers. Later on I will probably add a sub. My principle concern is sound quality rather than volume and I only need moderate bass.

I am currently trying to decide what to use for new front speakers. I am looking most seriously at coaxials because I am planning on doing the instalation myself and don't really want to cut new holes. My plan was to use a pair of Infinity Kappas (572.5cf) but it looks like they are too deep for my door openings.

A couple of questions:
1. Can anyone recomend a good coaxial alternative to the kappas?
2. If I were to decide to install components instead of coaxials, would the sound quality difference be significant.
3. Looking on crutchfield I got the impression that i could install a smaller set of kappa components (Kappa 50.5cs) in the stock door panel holes? Is that correct and would the sound quality with all the components close together be better or worse than using a set of coaxials?

Any help appreciated.

Waltham, MA USA

Post Number: 2
Does anybody know anything about the JL Audio XR-570CXi coaxials. I have read a couple of reviews that say they are pretty good. How would they sound in the setup I described?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2657
The XR coaxials are nice. Also, consider Eclipse point source coaxials, they sound excellent. The CDT braxials are also very good. All are kinda deep though, you need to double check your depth on all these and see what will work.

Waltham, MA USA

Post Number: 3
What about putting the kappa components into the stock openings? Will having the woofer and the tweeter close together (to avoid cutting new holes) sound better or worse than a good set of coaxials.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Jeff, Are you more than five years out of high school? What are you music tastes?

Waltham, MA USA

Post Number: 4
I'm in my late twenties. I listen to a range of stuff: classic rock, acoustic, punk, a little classical and jazz ... the beatles, led zepplin, bob dylan, cake, mxpx, the ramones, sting, dave mathews, natalie merchant, norah jones etc. etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us