I need an 800x1@4ohms mono amp !

radar22
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I need a quality amp that puts out 800 watts @ 4ohms. I am willing to spend around $400. I also want to ask how much is sound quality degraded by going from a 4 ohm load to a 1 ohm load? Do you have any recommendations between a re x.x.x. and an adire brahma? I will be powering 1 12" version of which ever sub i get. I also heard about the image dynamics id max. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Username: Rockytophigh

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 5
Might try a Soundstream Van Gogh 800.2, it will do 800 into 4ohms. I'm picking one up soon as funds allow.

Username: Jmacdadd

Holland, MI USA

Post Number: 1
As far as I know only Class D Sub Amps will be mono 1ohm stable and they aren't the most efficient amps to use unless you can supply massive amounts of power to them. Case in point: I had a Memphis 16-ST1000D running 1ohm mono 1100W to (3) JL Audio 15W6 subs and blew it up 3 times in 3 months (under warranty) and ended up selling it. I don't know much about the subs you are looking to use but I know there are a few amps than can run what you are looking for in watts. An old school PPI A1200 or A1200.2 will run a mono 1200W load at 4ohm (or it will run 2x300@4ohm or 2x600@2ohm) and can handle quite a few subs on the market. It's not stable to 1ohm mono (only 4ohm). An A600 or A600.2 will run half the A1200 rated power wattage (and these amps "rated" power outputs are generally a little lower than actual). They are beasts. They can be found on Ebay. They even look pretty, too.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5980
"As far as I know only Class D Sub Amps will be mono 1ohm stable and they aren't the most efficient amps to use unless you can supply massive amounts of power to them."

just to clarify, there are multi-channel class AB amps that are mono-1 ohm stable.
The ORion 225HCCA is stereo stable to 0.5 ohms and bridged mono, puts out 400 watts x 1 @ 1 ohm.
also class D amps are the most efficient amplifier class at about 80% efficiency.
class AB amps are about 60% efficient by comparison.
The reason class D amps draw so much current is due to the amount of power they usually deliver.
look at it this way:
ever at 80% eff, a 1200 watt amp is going to draw up to 120A of current.
If that 1200 watts was from a class AB amp, which is rare, but possible, you' draw even more current.
The USAmps 3Kw class AB amp uses up to 450A of current.. for a single amplifier. :-)

1 ohm vs 4 ohm for SQ.. well, 4 ohms would be better based on the load range of mobile audio amplifiers. you get better damping, SNR, lower distortion, and more head room at 4 ohms.
The downside is less power of course.
at 1 ohm you get a lot more power, but SNR, distortion, headroom, damping etc all suffer as a result.
Now if you can hear the difference may be another story entirely, but on a scope and on paper, it's very apparent.

a Brahma 12" needs about 500-600 watts RMS, at whatever load it presents.
a 12" RE triple X will need, or at least want, around 1Kw of power to really perform well.
keep that in mind when amp shopping.
Both are great subs. I use two RE myself with about 1280wRMS each.

radar22
Unregistered guest
i've got one more question. Do i need a high output alternator when I am pulling 1000 watts class d and 220 watts class ab from a 130 amp alternator? Also if i have a sealed box do ineed a subsonic filter?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5985
no SSF needed for sealed boxes.
the alternator thing entirely depends on a lot of factors like your listening habits.
chances are 130A isn't going to do the job if you drive teh system hard for extended periods.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us