Best Sound Quality Sub to replace a 12" Eclipse DVC

Username: Sanchez5888

Post Number: 4
Hey guys, I have a 12" Eclipse sub right now, but the custom box is too heavy for my new 04' civic, so I need your help. I'm looking to spend about $200, and want a sub that is almost ALL sound quality. Bass is not too much of a factor, but I want the music to be clear and loud. Also, any suggestions for a front 6.5 components? I was thinking about rainbows, for the sub, speakers, and amps to run them, im looking to spend about $600.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2741
You ain't getting Rainbows on a $600 budget, not being mean, Rainbows just aren't cheap. As far as a sub around $200 for SQ, Adire Audio Shiva and Image Dynamics IDQs are great for SQ. What kind of Eclipse sub do you have now? Is it the Aluminum, b/c it has great SQ in itself.

Post Number: 6
Yes right now I have an aluminum, but I paid 200 for a custom Obcon box, and the only way I can even get close to recovering some of my money is by selling it with the sub. And about the rainbows, I can get the Rainbow NS-652 6.5" 2 way components for $150. So that would be a start, and then I was thinking about throwing in one 12" Infinity Perfect sub in a sealed box. Then run the speakers and sub off a 4 channel amp. How do you think this would sound in terms of sq.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2752
Honestly, the NS series Rainbows are the bottom rung of Rainbows stuff, and while they're good, for the price you could find better. The problem with Rainbows are that they are hand built in Germany, and you'll be paying more for a set of Rainbows than you will for more popular sets. With the lower end sets, you're paying more for their trip over here than you are for the speaker set. The Infinity Perfect subs are great for sound quality. Just try to listen to the Rainbows (if possible, I know it's hard cause they're very rare) and see what you think, I personally think you could find some CDT Classics or something similar that are a little better for the price than the Rainbows are.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2753
BTW, I still think the Aluminum is a better sub than the Kappa Perfect, I personally think you're cheating yourself by getting rid of it. I'd at least make an attempt at selling the Obcon box before getting rid of the sub too. You could then spend more money on your component speakers and amps.

Post Number: 10
Thanks for the advice on the Eclipse Sub, I think I'll try to sell the box, and put it in a sealed box to see how that works out. No shops around here have rainbows, but I'll do some research on the cdts. Do you think they would be good in terms of sound quality.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2759
"Do you think they would be good in terms of sound quality."
The CDTs, or the Rainbows? Both would be good, but IMO the CDTs would be better, and a better value at that. CDT makes fantastic speaker set, they use vifa drivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Alright so I'm going to look into the cdt's, thanks for all your help. One last question, do you think the cdts would outperform the Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 components? Those were my other choice, probably with a jl amp. Let me know, thanks again.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2762
I like the CDTs better, but it's your choice. The Perfects are very bright, and have a strong tweeter and upper midrange. Me preferring warmer sound, I'm not as much of a fan of the Perfects, although I will admit they're fantastic for the price.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 176
Michael, how did you figure that the box is too heavy for the car? How much does the box weigh, and how much does the sub weigh?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2816
Altogether, the combo weighs over 100 lbs, and 100 lbs is equivalent to +/- 1/10 of a second in a quarter mile(If he's doing this for performance reasons). The sub itself weighs about 40 lbs. if I remember correctly, the motor is huge on that thing. Personally, I'd rather have subs than an extra tenth, I'm not that much of a performance extremist. I hit high 10s with the 67 Mustang I had, and it had audio equipment in it at the time. A fiberglass enclosure would be lightest, 2nd to an infinite baffle install in a package tray or similar.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2818
Of course, he'd only save 100 lbs if he were to remove subs altogether, by the time he added a different sub and built the box for that, the difference probably wouldn't even be worth mentioning.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2819
By the way Michael, I'm just guessing at 100 lbs, with the average box it will weigh somewhere around there I know, give or take some.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Yea the box is about 100 pounds, the sub is pretty heavy too. The thing is, when I have the sub box in my trunk, my tires rub on the tire wells and the car vibrates around 60-70. But when I take the box out... no problem. That's why I figure its too heavy for my car. It's an 04 civic coupe.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 179
In my '01 civic sedan, the rear is a little lower than usual because I had an accident that caused this. On top of that I have a "pro box rocks" and 2 audiobahn aw1006t's, which weigh about 25lbs/each. With the box it's ~110lbs. I don't think the car is supposed to do that though, so you're better off taking it to the car shop first, before getting rid of anything.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2823
Jesus, the tires rub with 100 lbs in the rear? That's just ridiculous. You may want to look into suspension options, NO car should do that. With passengers in the car it'll be even worse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Its not that the car rubs, but the drift is a LOT more noticeable. The box is huge, and barely fit into my trunk. It's an obcon box so it weighs over 100 pounds, but pretty close. And I can notice the car pulling when I go about 60 with the box in the trunk, but when its out the cars fine. I'm looking into suspension, new shocks, to get a smoother ride, but thats for the future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us