Need advice for system for E46 BMW 3series coupe

Bronze Member
Username: Wildpanda86

Post Number: 16
I want to do a system in my E46 coupe. What do you think of running a three way setup in the car? put the tweets and 5.25 speaks up front and then the 6 inch midbass in the factory location for the rear deck? Thinking of either Alpine TypeX three ways or Focal. You think this would sound pretty good?

Or should I just get 2 way components up front & some cheaper model for the back for rearfill?

I also need help as far as what to do for bass. Currently I am thinking of running a 12inch freeair sub... prolly an Image Dynamics IDmax firing up into the rear deck. What do you think of this setup? Any other subs that can run freeair that will sound good with the system I am planning for cheaper? Or should I mount it into the center armrest ski pass? Or should I just do a completely different setup alltogether?

I plan on using a 5 channel Soundstream VanGogh amp getting its signal from the factory H/U with prolly an audiocontrol EQ.

I value sound quality more rather than thumping bass. & I listen to a wide range of music... from Hip hop or Alternative and Punk to electronica and Jazz.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Go to the thread two or three down "2 way vs. 3 way". The real geniuses (Glass and Jon) comment about the fallbacks of adding such a 3 way component system.

Stick to a 2 way. Alpine X's have huge magnets. I just had to return a pair. Make sure the depth fits your doors before you purchase. Focal are 'all the buzz'. I personally haven't heard a pair. If you like Rap, Hip Hop, Neo Soul, R&B, Gangsta, etc....MB Quart Q series is the way to go. These are street tested and mother approved.
Drive these with JL Stealth amp. I have a JL Stealth going the the MB Premiums 6 1/2 and they are suited for metal, alt and rap. Sweet setup if you go this route!

Subs, anyone? I will let the expert sub guys chime in. JL, JL, JL and more JL seems to be the buzz at the shows! ! ! ! ! Polk Momo ...these can knock too.

Bronze Member
Username: Wildpanda86

Post Number: 17
I was thinking that also, that maybe the three ways won't image good if I put the tweets and 5.25 in the factory locations up front and the 6 inch in the factory locations out back.

I guess It will be better to just run my system as three channel with a pair of 2 ways up front and then sub out back.

I used to have MB's in my old car, they where very clear and imaged very nicely... but on some songs they where just too sharp and fatiguing over long listening periods.

The Focals don't seem to be as sharp as the MB Quart.

Does JL make a good woofer that I can run in an infinite baffle or free air setup? I know they have the 2 8inch stealth subs for my car, however I have not heard one yet in a BMW.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
The most ultimate sub is the JL 12W7. I've seen it priced low $600 and high $749. The rigidity is freakish. It handles 750 continuous Best in the game. Drive it with a JL 1000/1 ($800-$999). I'm salivating just thinking about it! Put it in a standard 12'' single hole box....no need to go bandpass with this guy.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
One other thing. Freeair is for sissies. Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us