How many amps dose a Generator put out?

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 214
I'm not talking like a generator like gas powered or anything like that.. but the old car generators like what they had on older cars back in the 60's my 69 elcamino has one on it and i was wondering how many amps it will put out..

-thx yall

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 160
It won't be that much. My best guess would be around 65 to 75 amps. Back then all the alt needed to do was run the car and keep the baterry charged. They didn't have gps systems, control modules, power windows, and every other bell and whistle that the new cars have. Heck if you really want to know call a part store and ask them what your options for a replacment are.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2634
Jeremy, he's talking about a generator, not an alternator. Big difference, a generator is pure DC. As far as ampere output, not a lot. Generators typically put out around 60 amps or less in those cars, but really your best bet is to convert to an alternator. I'm guessing you have a small block v8 in there, parts are all over the place and you can get an alternator pretty much anywhere dirt cheap. Go ahead and convert to a 1 wire alternator, you'll be glad you did. Generators ran hotter and were less reliable than alternators.

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 216
well see i have both on it already.. i was wondering what kind of advantage it would give me if i just hooked the generator back up and having an alternator too..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us