2500 watt amp @ 4 ohms?

Unregistered guest
I need an amp that can drive 2500 watts single channel @ 4 ohms where can i find this. Please email me if you know because everything i am finding is 2500 watts at 1 ohm and well thats just retarded who has 1 ohm speakers even unless of course you parralleling a bunch of 4 ohm woofers down to 1 ohm.

deanbruhn@hotmail.com

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5892
not retarded at all. a pair of dual 4 ohm coil subs will provide a 1 ohm load.
case in point, Kicker KX1200.1 and two 12L7 solobarics.

Why do you need 2500 watts at 4 ohms?
what are you driving?

USAmps offers a class AB amp that delivers 3000 watts, but you're going to need to supply that puppy with 450A of clean current, so plan on a couple more alternators in your car to drive the amp.
You can also look at class D amps that support strapping.
Some offer 1200 watts, and combined with a second strapped amp, you get 2400 watts to a single load.

error51
Unregistered guest
I need to drive 2 electro voice evx155 15" woofers single voice coil 8 ohm woofers long term power handling is 600 watts short term is 2400 in 10 ms bursts, so I am thinking of running 1200 watts a speaker.

If I have to add a second power source to my vehical I am just going to stick with pro audio amps and go with a EV I will just use two cp1800 h class amps and rack mount the stuff in some rails in the trunk.

I want to fire them into the rear seat and use the trunk as the box and porting through the trunk cover of my car next to where the 6x9's come through.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5899
if they're rated for 600wRMS each, they probably only need around 400-500 watts RMS each to reach peak output.
don't confuse power handling ratings with the amount of power required to reach peak excursion.

one reason people don't use 8 ohm speakers in mobile audio is the need for extremely large amplifiers to get adequate power.
you may just be better off getting some good 4 ohm or 2 ohm 15s

error51
Unregistered guest
no no no they are rated 600 long term power handling. That means they will run @ 600 watts all day long and never have an issue. the rms value is aproximatly 1200 watts ( i work for ev i answere this question all day)

Sorry i am not a car audio i am how ever a concert sound guy. 2 ohms is about as low as we go but we also need to throw 120 db thousands of feet so this stuff is kinda new to me.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5900
I'm an EE and a master installer.
I understand driver construction.
I'm just saying power handling has nothing to do with how much power these speakers need to reach peak output.
power handling is a thermal rating describing how much heat (in watts) the voice coils can handle without essentially melting.
the RMS or continuous rating is the amount of heat they can withstand long term, and peak is how much they can take without melting in short exposures.

in the proper enclosure, those subs should reach peak excursion with a LOT less than 1200 watts.
remember the enclosure suspension as well as the cabin of the vehicle affect the amount of power the subs can take and the amount needed to raech peak output.

you're also dealing with class AB solid state amps here, and not tube amps, which are far more prone to being driven into clipping range.

car audio is a different world from PA systems.

errorthinkshessmart
Unregistered guest
u tell him glass

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5912
error's not really wrong per se. I'm just trying to clarify how much power his subs need, and why.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us