Amp question for 50's car for the allmighty Glasswolf

Anonymous

Glasswolf,

You've been a huge help so far in getting my system formulated. As of late I'm steering towards a front component set from CDT, CDT HD642, instead of the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 as we discussed. My setup would still just be a component set up front with a 10" sub in the rear. I've decided not to go with any rear fill speakers. If I need rear fill in the future I'll run them off of my head unit.

The CDT HD642 set has a 200rms rating (yikes) and I'm wondering...in your opinion, what would be the *least* amount of power that you would run to these components. I've emailed CDT and they really haven't given me a definitive answer other than to set my gain properly. I'd like to stick with a 4 channel amp that way I can bridge the back for the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 10" sub. I need to stay below the 800watt range with the amp since I've only a 94amp alternator (at peak output) and I can't really afford to change to something larger since I've already made alternator mounting modifications within my engine bay unless you know of a high output alternator that's has the same mounting geometry as a Delco 12SI (that's probably a question for the alternator shop).

From searching this forum and others I've gleened enough knowledge to know that you should match the rms of your speakers. I was looking at the Kicker KX850.4 which according to Kicker puts out 175rms x 4 @ 4ohm @ 14.4v. This seems like it would work but I'm shy of the speaker rms by 25rms, which in my mind, isn't a bit deal. I would prefer to use a smaller amp due to alternator reasons, say a Kicker KX650.4 which puts out 120rms x 4 @ 4ohm @ 14.4v which would be less of a power hog...but would this 120rms be enough to power those expensive CDT components? I'd hate to buy great speakers then not power them enough to honor their potential.

Long thread...sorry about that.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5888
that amp would be graet. the KX800.4 is even enough at 100x4
that'd be 100x2 for the CDTs, which is a lot of power.. and 400x1 @ 2 ohms for the sub if the sub is 4 ohms.
you'd have a great system there, and a total power of about 600 watts for everything. that'd be fine for your alternator as well
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us