Adire audio question?

loud and low
Unregistered guest
hey glasswolf or anyone who knows there stuff i am looking into buying either 2 or more adire audio subs. either the tempest or the maelstrome. i am looking for all sound quality and i am interested in powerfull low fequencey response. althought the 18's are bigger they have less xmas and suprisingly higher f s. which would you recomend. my main consideration is the fact that i can buy 4 of the tempests for the price of 2 maelstromes. which combination will full my requirement better. i will be building them to exact to specs ported enclosure. they will be hooked to a us amps 2000.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 630
I'd go with the fifteens, myself.
that or the brahmas

loud and low
Unregistered guest
could you exlpain your reasons for prefering the fifteens. if you have heard both or either one could you tell me what you thought about its performance. and is it really a very good sound quality sub or just a good sound for the buck. im not interested in the brahmas, spl isn't that important. and if i go with either the 15's or the 18's would you suggest ported? i want good volume at the low frequences but still want tight clean bass.

Post Number: 647
tune the box low, close to the Fs, and use a subsonic filter for the amp and you should hit pretty deeply without substantial rolloff.
yeah I've heard them. The fifteens (tempests) are great subs.
I prefer twelves personally, but the greater Xmax will help, and for sound quality you want the smaller sub.
it'll have less driver mass, and therefore the sub will be faster. That'll translate to better accuracy.

eighteens are purely for SPL. They've never been very fast or accurate. I don't car ewho makes them or how good they are. There are good 18" subs, but their main purpuse is SPL.. lots of surface area, and usually, a low resonant frequency (holy sh|t, the board won't let me say F-s??? wtf?). They also tend to require more power to make them responsive.

loud and low
Unregistered guest
glass this doesn't make any sense to me i would appricatie it you could explain it for me i've spent some time researching both the shiva and tempest and have discovered that in there one page report where they put the subs in both sealed and ported enclosers of different sizes that in a large ported box 5 ft3 that the shiva does 135 db at 15 hz. thats d*mnn impressive for any 12. but the tempest in a 10 ft3 encloser can do 135 at 16 hz. the 12 accualty plays lower than the fifteen at the same volume!!!!!! i am seriously thinking about getting 3 or 4 of the shivas instead of the tempests because of this. will it pay of if as i sayed i want to play low, clean and tight. can the shiva accually out perform the tempest???? even thought they are based off the same platform? do you think i will be more satisfied with 3 shivas or 2 tempests??

Post Number: 710
I'd have to look at how the tests were set up and the power used etc.
the SPL will be affected by other factors as well like vehicle transfer point, vehicle's natural resonant freq. and so forth but generally, the fifteen will offer more resonance.
I'd go with the Shivas myself, but I prefer twelves for subs.
if you want a lot of SPL, use 4 of them, and give each one 650 watts RMS.
they'll rock your world in an enclosure giving each sub 2cu ft, with a 4" ID port tuned to about 34Hz.

Username: Newb

Post Number: 71
glass and hydro thx for the advice the shiva is nice. i only have one but its actually more bass than i was looking for, i can barely even hear my stock separates. guess its time to upgrade.

Post Number: 732
yeah solid bass is great, but it needs to balance with everything else.
you don't want good bass at the expense of washing out the mids and highs.
may want to look at good separates up front, some coaxials in back, and a nice 4 channel amp to drive both sets.
that'd balance everything out nicely.

glad you liked the Shiva. It's a good sub.
should serve you well.

loud and low
Unregistered guest
glass say i was to do what you were sayin and put 4 of the shivas in 2cu ft boxs at 34hz with them all fully powered 650 rms out of a us amps or older ppi amp do you know an estimate on the slp i would get im not that crazy into gettin loud but would they hit say low 150's. also i was thinkin it would be nice to put one more in the 5 cu ft box and have the much lower fs down to like 18 or 15 hz to round it all out. but my main question is do you think with the 4 in the box you recomended ill be able to hit low 150/s? thanks for your help and imput.

Post Number: 920
with four of them at full power you'd easily be in the 150s.
remember you don't want to tune a box lower than the Fs of the sub itself. Doing that, the subs can lose damping and over-extend.
If you want the subs to hit flat to 9Hz, just go with sealed enclosures.
cabin gain will compensate for roll-off below the vehicle's transfer point, and you'll get a flat response from a sealed box to below audible levels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us