Ipod INSTEAD of car stereo?

Username: Dwareham

Post Number: 1
I just finished building a kit car and I plan to install speakers but I don't want to install a stereo. I'd like to wire an Ipod to the speakers without having to go through a stereo. Is this possible? Is the the headphone line out on the Ipod my only option for audio out? What kind of device (other than a stereo) would I need to hook the Ipod and speakers into? I'm new to this kind of project, so go easy on me...
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Bnh142

Post Number: 11
I thought I responded to this before... Hmm.

Anyway, yes you can hook up the ipod directly to a car amp that would then power the speakers. The headphone line should work if the amp line in is sensitive enough. You would have to have a switched 12 volt line going to the amp to turn it on and off though. The Head unit usually suppies this on/off signal but you would have to find some other way of wiring that to the amp.

There are other ways to get sound out of an iPod such as the new Apline adapter but that would not really work in your situation.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5557
you may want to add a pre-amp/EQ in-dash that offers AUX inputs as well.
this will give you a master volume, fader, etc plus a few EQ knobs to tweak the sound.
they're half0DIN size, so they take very little mounting space.
Kicker, Audiocontrol, and others offer these units.
worth a shot, to allow ya to plug the iPod into the system and keep a solid line voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 200
The way Glass is tellign you would give you an all around cleare sound but I just got my crutchfield magazine in the mail and they have a FM trnasmitter/charger that acts as a wireless FM modulator. They had it for 69 bucks. Heres the link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tl0IfPyjLbL/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=119AIIPFM&cc=01& search=119aiipfm

Post Number: 2
Brian -- how do I know if the amp line in is sensitive enough? I think I can run a 12 v line -- I think I have one more left out of the wiring harness. So it would go: power source ---> amp; ipod ---> amp; amp ---> speakers, right?
And forgive my question here, but what is a head unit? A receiver?

Glasswolf -- thanks for the suggestion, but quality sound is not what I'm after... you can barely hear the radio over the engine as it is. : ) I'm just looking for some tunes and something light and easy that'll come out of the car quick.

Many thanks guys,

Delin

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 148
Hey Delin if you're not after sound quailty, why not just get a HU with mp3 built in? It'll save you whole lot of labour and headaches.
It'll end up being cheaper if you think about it. A HU with mp3 might cost you around $150 or less.

Post Number: 4
Isaac --
The problem is where to install it. There's no room on the dashboard and the standard head units are too long for the under-dash console. I could mount it between the two seats on the back of the cockpit wall, but that's pretty involved. Other option is to buy one of the "hidden" stereos that people use in classic cars, but that'll run about $500 for just the unit. Plus, the car doesn't have a hard top so there's always the threat of theft.
I'm trying to keep it simple and portable, easy to install and MP3 ready.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Ok Delin, since you're into building, try this. Near your dashboard, install an audio jack that'll accept a cable from IPod's output jack. You can get them at Radio Shack for few dollars. Then connect a rca wire to the jack and the amp. Then whenever you want to listen to music, just plug in your ipod into it.
Now you won't have to worry about theft.
You can hide the amp and pre-amp in the trunk of your car.

Post Number: 5
Isaac:
Perfect. That's exactly the advice I was looking for.
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
No problem, just glad I could help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us