Amp for 4 10" subs

j brower
Unregistered guest
the magnum mtx subs have an impedance of 4 ohm. They have a 125 watt rms and 250 watt total.
What amp should I be looking for that can keep me under $100. Im not sure on this but are channels how many subs an amp can handle? Im thinking one 600 watt 4 channel amp, or two 300 watt 2 ch amps. What you think? Thanks alot for the help, Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 173
Hey Jeff, if you have 4 10" subs, then connect them up in parallel so that you'll have 2 ohms per pair. This will allow you to purchase an amp that supports 4 ohms all the way down to 1 ohms.
For $100, you need to try used amps on eBay.
You might want to look for class D amps. One or 2 channel amp should work fine with your setting.
If possible, look for amps with remote bass control. It's very handy.

j brower
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 600 watt american pro amp. Here are the specs
rms output- 140w/2ch@2ohm
100w/2ch/@4ohm
bridged- 140w/1ch@4ohm

Is this amp gona work ok for my subs? How should I hoop them up? Thanks, Jeff

Terminatermule
Unregistered guest
To drive those subs to their max (RMS) I think you will need 2 of those amps, can anyone else clarify this?

Cheers

j brower
Unregistered guest
i thought since they were each 125watt rms that 600 would be fine. Anybody else have any info that would help?thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 26
you would be pushing 70w rms to each speaker with that setup. (140w x 2 @ 2 ohms) Hookup is very simple. hook up 1 speaker to each channel like normal, then run another wire from + side of speaker to the + on the next speaker, same with the - speaker terminals. Do the same for both channels. It's kinda like a jumper wire, + to + and - to -.

j brower
Unregistered guest
i would like to get the maximun amount of watts into all four of the subs. I would also like to do this at the lowest cost possible. Would I only need one 600w amp if it was 4ch capable? Or would a 1000w amp work if it was 2ch? I paid $60 for the american pro 600w 2ch, but I dont wanna have to buy two to get all the power i need. I can buy a 1000w 2ch amp on ebay for $80 shipped. Would this route be better? sorry for my inexperience and thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
Whoa J Brower, don't get fooled by cheap amps. They do not produce what they claim. Most of them will distort or cause clipping at high volume.
For your question, you only need one amp. Let me explain, if you had 1 channel mono amp that's rated at 500W rms. All you have to do is supply the amp's required ohms. If you had 4 subs that are 4ohms each, then wire it so that you pair 2 together to get 2 ohms, the other 2 to get another 2 ohms. Now you connect them in series to get 4 ohms for 4 ohms mono amp. If it were 2 channel amp, then you can attach each 2 ohm pairs to each channel.
When you say 600w is that in rms or peak? I hope it's rms cause peak is just a sales/marketing terms used to get suckers to buy cheap amps.

j brower
Unregistered guest
its 600w max. Im going to return this amp and buy another. What should I get? how many watts, and how many channels?

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
J brower, never buy an amp based on max power. For subs, 1 channel mono class D is all you need. If you can look for 2 ohms stable, 1 ohm is even better but it'll cost you. 300W - 500W rms will be plenty enough to power your subs and more.
Stay away from Pyramid, Sony, PA, pyle and few other no name crap. Even though Sony has a name, they're considered the same.
The best way is to do some research on the model you decide to buy. You'll hear lot of opinions on here dissing many brands, but I can tell you for a fact that it's not true. There are some good bargin/deals to be had even from companies like MA Audio, Jensen, Audiobahn.

j brower
Unregistered guest
My brother offered to sell me his dhd lcd 9444 1000watt amp for $30. here are the specs
max power@ 2 ohm : 250w x 4 =1000w
bridgeable: 200w x 2 = 400w
power @ 2 ohm: 1 dow x 4= 400w
power @ 4 ohm:80w x 4 = 320w
this seems like it would work if I hooked up the four into 2 pairs so that I had two pairs at 2 ohm. I would get 500w max to each pair, which is what the max watts are for the subs. Am I correct? Thanks, Jeff

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 41
Tell him you have to "try it out" before you buy it to "make sure it works". If it sux give it back to him. LOL 80w to 125w speakers should do OK.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Hey J brower, are those numbers in peak power again? If they are, you need to divide the total by 2 or 3 to get rms ratings. Whatever you get, that's the power you should look for in the speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us